I want to go on disability-someone from Israel to help me?

I have schizophrenia that prevents me from functioning, and in particular making a living.
I am willing to do anything, but there is nothing I can do to earn a living.
My parents don’t help me get on disability, and I can’t manage it on my own.
What should I do?

2 Likes

First I’d talk to your dr and get their support as they’ll probably have to fill out paperwork too, second I’d try to find a lawyer that can help you for free… cause in the US lawyers who get disability get paid by the govt.

1 Like

the doctor I last met ( very recently) totally supports it, he says disability is exactly for people like me.

2 Likes

Then you’re 90% of the way there!

1 Like

I just did a search and this website covers all the information about claiming disability in Israel (it even has an instructional video covering how to claim):

https://www.btl.gov.il/English%20Homepage/Benefits/Disability%20Insurance/Pages/default.aspx

Perhaps have a read through that site and get your relatives to have a look at it too if it’s a bit too mind-boggling :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Erez, are you about to turn 18?

1 Like

I am surprised that for those in US and Israel you would need legal representatives. Strange enough, in Malaysia, the mentally disabled person can just walk in and submit the application on his/her own.

Thanks @_JDOG26 but I really need help in filing for disability.
Like really. I can’t do it on my own.
@zoom haha that’s if he can manage to do everything on his own! I can’t though.
@SwitzApples I’m 24.

2 Likes

It looks like they have help available for applying, anyway there is some contact info that could probably get you in touch with the right people.

https://www.btl.gov.il/English%20Homepage/stations/Pages/HelpingHand.aspx

1 Like

@zoom in the US you can do that too but having a lawyer prevents mistakes from holding up your application and makes it easier. Plus it’s free!

Oh, I see. Thank you for the information.

1 Like

Lawyers aren’t free and if you have a good case you don’t need one.

1 Like

They usually take 1/3 of your back benefits.

If you can do it yourself, that’s great, but sometimes people can’t.

1 Like

I didn’t get any back pay because I worked up until the time I applied. Wonder what they would have charged me.

My eligibility date was the day after I quit working. I had already been sick six years prior to that.

Maybe they would not have taken the case since they wouldn’t be paid. Or maybe they would, it’s really just interns filling out paperwork.

i should have applied in 2008 when I first got sick. I was in the military and someone was basically holding my hand to help me do it. I was in a disability transition class and that was part of the process. I thought to myself I will never need that.

But I fought the diagnosis and the illness until 2014. I lost a lot.

I recommend you apply now. Don’t wait like I did. But I have applied for about 50 jobs in the last two weeks. I had a three year break and am ready to try and go back to work. I think we should all strive to get better. But if you think you are disabled apply. The worst they can say is no.

2 Likes

that’s unfortunate. i was able to do it on my own.

@TomCat your absolutely right, but in my case there was no back pay. Kinda forgot the details of that till now. Thanks for clairifying