I want to become a psychiatrist

I think it would be cool to really excell in the field of psychiatry. Plus I’ve seen so many of them I can almost fake it in the office and I know more about the meds than many of them from actually having been on them myself. I think I’m more compassionate than they are and I would give everyone on this site free consults

9 Likes

You’d probably be better than my psychiatrist… :unamused:

4 Likes

How much would you charge after the consult (my brain needs a lot of work)?

3 Likes

Because your name is kindness I would be kind and give you a free consult ;-).

2 Likes

It would be a sliding scale for those that could pay. I would even have a closet full of samples that I would give for free

3 Likes

But my approach would mostly involve the use of new medication. I would tell you, we have to get you off this old junk an into some new CBD oil or some Min 101.
In a few months time you’ll be outside jogging in the park like a teenager again

1 Like

When you apply for a medical license, nursing license, or Physician Assistant license, the medical or nursing board asks if you have any medical or mental conditions. If you tell them you have Sz or SzA they will refuse to give you a license. Therefore, none of us can be psychiatrists.

1 Like

I don’t have sz or sza. I have bipolar disorder.
There are doctors with bipolar disorder

1 Like

Not true. @Anxiety_Orange was a successful psychiatrist for many years, if memory serves me correctly. A ton of people here are studying to work as psychologists/psychiatrists. They can’t legally deny you a license based on your illness because of the ADA.

4 Likes

Hmmm… Then why do applications ask you if you have a condition that could affect your judgment?

I don’t know, you sure you’re not just making this up?
What about Ellen sacks? She’s an MD

1 Like

I thought she was a lawyer.

She’s both actually. But primarily practices law.
Even if she was only a lawyer she still needed to go in front of an advisory board

1 Like

Mark Vonnegut is also a doctor with the outdated diagnosis of “manic depressive” and he had an episode, left his practice, then recovered and was fully reinstated.

2 Likes

The late neurologist, Dr. Oliver Sacks, had a brother with schizophrenia. Also, Dr. Sacks had long admitted to using LSD which, he claimed, resulted in periodic hallucinations. No, I cannot say with certainty that Dr. Oliver Sacks had schizophrenia. However, I can say with certainty that Dr. Sacks was a hero to me and many other people with schizophrenia.

1 Like

My psychiatrists have often told me I could be a psychiatrist if I wanted. I have the minimum IQ to be a doctor and the minimum of family support necessary to broach it. But really.

Jayster

3 Likes

What is the minimum IQ to be a doctor? @Jayster

The average IQ for a doctor is about 130. That would be me!

Jayster

1 Like

If you become a psychiatrist you will turn into the person everybody on here complains about.
You will turn into “The Man”. You will be the “Establishment” who we all hate, lol.