I’ve been taking guitar lessons

It was my New Years resolution to myself, and I have actually been sticking with it! I used to play in high school and college, but I taught myself from online tutorials, so I missed a lot of the fundamentals. I decided if I was going to get back into playing, I would do it right. I learned I’ve been holding the pick the wrong way the entire time, and I need to learn to strum with my wrist instead of my elbow.

It feels good to be getting back into it. I’ve lost a lot of my old skills, but I’m relearning them better than the first time! My callouses are starting to come back, and it is exciting!

I’m recording myself play every week, so I can see the progress over time. I won’t post it here, for privacy reasons, but it’s good. When I start to feel discouraged, I can just replay my first session and see how far I’ve come!

26 Likes

That’s pretty cool. I wish I’d learned to play an instrument when I was younger. Best of luck with it :sunny:

2 Likes

Good going @Ninjastar! :guitar:

2 Likes

Good for you! It always makes me feel so good when I hear that other adults are playing and learning instruments. It makes me feel so not alone in learning my own instrument (piano).

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking of taking fiddle lessons when I get the change. There is no orchestra in this city for me to play in so I might as well learn a more solo style.

3 Likes

That’s the spirit!! 1515151515

2 Likes

Check out www.justinguitar.com.

1 Like

wow @Ninjastar that is so great !! I play guitar every day…some of Angie’s favorites are “folsom prison blues” johnny cash , “in dreams” roy orbison and “under the bridge” by the red hot chili peppers…look up tablature if you know what that is online just searching by title…enjoy…these three are special to me and I am very proud that I play them all the way through…as most of my songs…some I don’t…working on it…working on it…haha

6 Likes

Well done you. Glad your sticking with it and playing guitar is cool. I can play the chords but advanced things like scales are hard work for my old brain. Good you started anew and learning the right way! Sounds like a good thing to be doing!

1 Like

Do you sing along? You’ll be able to entertain your kids. They’ll love it.

3 Likes

Good on you. I did some lessons about 18 years ago after my father taught me a few guitar songs a few years b4 that. He thought it was a good idea but i have forgotten most of what i learned. Ive been planning on getting back into it as well but my condition is crippling me mentaly and emotionaly. Play from the heart you could make your own music as well.

3 Likes

I don’t have the coordination to sing along just yet. Maybe in a few more months.

2 Likes

please don’t give up trying to sing a long…it will make you so happy when you do it.

1 Like

I will learn. It’s a process.

1 Like

by all means, no pressure…it should come after getting to really be able to hold a rhythm on the guitar…good for you for learning this much !!

1 Like

I played a really mean triangle in High School! :wink:

Nice going, @Ninjastar. I songwrite and sing and play with my daughter sometimes. It’s a wonderful tonic for the soul.

2 Likes

If you are are quite new you could try getting tab pro on ultimateguitar.com . It would probably make things a little easier. I think it is worth getting at any level though really, if you are serious about learning guitar.

1 Like

I used to be a good guitarist. But schizophrenia took it away from me

2 Likes

that’s how I learned the first time around, although back then it wasn’t called that. I do have tab pro now.

2 Likes

Awesome! Ive been wanting to learn guitar or piano but i have no idea where to start… i used to try and learn piano with a synthesizer when i was younger lol

3 Likes