I used to believe this song was about me

“Downbound Train” by Bruce Springsteen

“I had a job, I had a girl, I had somethin’ goin’ mister in this world. I got laid off. times got hard. Our love went bad. Now I work down at the car wash where all it ever does is rain. sometimes you feel like you’re a rider on a downbound train.”

“she just said ‘joe, I gotta’ go we had it once we ain’t got it anymore’. she packed her bags, left me behind, she caught a ticket for a western line. I swing a sledgehammer on that road gang, being tired out in the rain. sometimes you feel like you’re a rider on a downbound train.”

“last night I heard your voice, you were crying crying in overload. You said your love had never died, you were waiting for me at home. I put on my jacket I ran through the woods, I ran til I thought my chest would explode. there in the clearing there in the moonlight our wedding house shown. I ran through the yard, I burst through the front door, I shouted out clearly up the stairs I climbed. Our room was dark, our bed was empty and I heard that long whistle whine. and I dropped. to my knees held my head and cried.”

I swing a sledge hammer on that road gang. blah blah blah…I Love this song.

3 Likes

As a child (born in 1977), I believed “Every Breath You Take” by the Police was about me. I thought the singer knew who I would be as an adult and was singing to the adult me.

Whenever you think that remember this one LOL (I love this song).

Carly Simon

family guy says it’s over don knots.

[Downbound Train][1]

It’s a beautiful song.
[1]: http://%3Ciframe%20width=%22854%22%20height=%22510%22%20src=%22//www.youtube.com/embed/Nc_mv46NwT4%22%20frameborder=%220%22%20allowfullscreen%3E%3C/iframe%3E

1 Like

Wow I’ve had this happen with so many songs and shows.

1. Blurred Lines-First time I heard it was when I woke up after a nightmare of a demon raping me. “I know you want it but you’re a good girl” was not a very comforting thing to hear after that.

2. Animals. “Girl don’t lie, you can’t deny the beast inside.” Again I was wrestling with the demons and my corruption.

3. Save the World/Don’t Worry Child mashup by Pentatonix, I was having a delusion where I was a warrior being trained to fight in the apocalypse and suddenly this song pops up. I actually took it positively though as God saying “Don’t worry, we have a plan for you, you don’t have to worry about saving the world.”

And then there’s other ones like Paradise (Coldplay), and certain bands who all their songs just feel like they’re messages to me.

I do the same thing with TV shows.

1 Like

It’s almost like some sick inside joke that seems to have everyone playing it on you doesn’t it feel that way?

1 Like

Yep, you pretty much nailed it on the head.

Much love Anna, it’s a hard knock life from JAY Z (a true quitter)

First time on the site. I’m so happy I’m not the only one. I get this with music all the time!!! It’s worse when I’m not medicated (I actually thought I was lady gag, nikki menage, fergie and others when ill), but sometimes I still hear songs that affect me on a personal level. There’s this song by Sylvan Esso called “coffee”. There’s a line in it that still bothers me “Wild winters. Warm coffee. Mom’s gone. Do you love me? Blazing summer. Cold coffee. Baby’s gone. Do you love me” The first time I was sick all I did was go out for coffee and ride my bike everywhere. My family used to come to me for advice, like a mom and I’m also the baby of 5 children. Like I’m asking my family, if I’m no longer in those roles, “do you love me?”. Weird, I know. And I know I didn’t write it and I know that’s probably not what it means, but it’s still proves to be difficult for me.
I’m just happy that I’m not the only one that takes music so personally:) All in all, I surmise that it’s not a bad thing that I attach my own meaning, as long as I don’t believe I’m the one that wrote it.
Thank you so much for sharing!!!

There are several songs that sound so much like they’re about me. I won’t list them all, but they seem so apropos of my situation.

1 Like