I used to be so much stronger

One time at school I got out and walked about 3 - 4 miles in 13 degree weather carrying a duffel bag, and then stood and waited out in the cold for over an hour for the bus to come. I didn’t get down about it in any way. Now, just the thought of going out in this cold weather makes me cringe.

3 Likes

I’ve found at 50 it’s important to move. I started small but built up with time and training to be doing a lot better. It really helps me and my mental condition as well and it only takes time and some simple things that aren’t expensive. Walking is free and I’ve plenty of time and I’ve built up to jogging…

…It’s never too late to start some simple exercise and it pays off and is good for you.

2 Likes

I’m 62, and it seems that just recently I hit the wall. Moderate exercise would help a lot.

1 Like

It’s never too late and a small investment in some physical health will pay you back immediately. Just take it easy early but the trick is to do it regularly. I jog on the spot for 10,000 steps nearly every morning. It’s just gotten to something I do!

2 Likes

I hear you @crimby - at 55, I’m starting to feel all the bad decisions I made in my youth LOL. I’m just kidding

I used to leave the house at 6:30 in the morning, go fishing, play basketball, ride my bike with the other kids through the woods for about 4 hours, raid the farmer’s cornfield and have a corn roast and not come home till 9 at night. Then get up the next day and do it all over again.

That was normal!! Now I have to catch my breath after tying my shoes, LOL.

I do my daily exercises. It only takes a few minutes, it’s not complicated or overly challenging. It just gets the blood circulating. I also go for short walks two or three times a day. Just a few hundred yards, but the fresh air clears my head and makes me feel better while oxygenating my blood which I find a mood lifter

1 Like

Yeah getting old sucks. It makes me kind of sad that my health and physical fitness are not what they used to be. I’m 59 now and I remember in my mid thirties I was working at Sears unloading trucks. BIG trucks, Lots of heavy lifting and I worked my ass off. Out worked most of the guys on the crew who were in their late teens or early twenties.

And walked to 5 or 6 AA meetings a week. And then took physical fitness classes at college like weight training and tennis.

I felt so good and looked great. I wouldn’t last an hour unloading those trucks now but in my thirties I did it for four years. I used to love doing physical work.

I let myself go though. Spent a year in the group home and I usually stayed home every night just on my computer. And the first two years in my current apartment I usually stayed home. Just this past year I’ve been going out at night even if it’s just going through Wendy’s for a hamburger and sitting in the parking lot.

Yeah, I remember the good old days. Haven’t given up though. I’ m still on my feet at my job three days a week. I occasionally take walks in the park.

1 Like

I’m agoraphobic, so when I want to walk I walk back and forth in my room. I don’t know how the people downstairs feel about it. If they want me to quit I will.

1 Like

Same here. I used to haul hay back when they had those square bails. It was hot, dirt work, but I loved it. I would choose that over fast food any day. But now I’m 62, and probably not able to do heavy work.

1 Like

It seems colder thinking about it. When you’re actually out there, if you’re dressed warm, it can actually be too warm.

Yes, but antipsychotic medication disrupts your body temperature regulation mechanisms, so that you’re prone to heat stroke in the summer and hypothermia in winter.

Oh. I didn’t know about the hypothermia.

Yes. When I was in the army in Germany I was a little bit above average in dealing with the cold. Now that kind of cold would probably bum me out. I’d have to get off antipsychotics if I wanted to work outside in the cold. I bet I’d catch pneumonia if I didn’t.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.