I try to tell my family about my MI

and they either minimize it by telling me they experience the same things or they tell me that my symptoms are the result of Satanic attack and that I need to fight Satan with Scripture and prayer.

In other words, my family is completely nonunderstanding and unsupportive. My family is not Catholic. They are evangelical.

2 Likes

I’m sorry they don’t understand mental illness but they are just uneducated.
My Dad is quite ignorant on the subject (“you shouldn’t be taking pills”) so I know a little of what it’s like. Unfortunately if they aren’t supportive the only thing you can do is to not seek their guidance. Because they will just tell you useless rubbish like its satan communicating with you and possibly confuse/upset you.

Do you have anyone outside your immediate family that might be more useful? Like an Uncle or an Aunt? What about friends?

1 Like

Saying MI is from Satan is just confusion and lack of info. It’s like the middle age belief that illnesses are bad humors that need to removed with bloodletting.

I think the reality of schizophrenia is just brain damage, basically.

2 Likes

Unfortunately my aunts and uncles are all lily white and racist and have always hated us. (My brothers and sister and all our kids are either half Mexican, half black, or both.) So, no, I’m not close to any of my aunts uncles or cousins.

And, no, I have no friends.

My only remaining 2 preSZ friends are also like that. I only talk to them online and they keep telling me to stop taking my pills because I am normal. They say I am smarter than my psychiatrist. They never knew me unmedicated while having SZ. I go insane.

I keep explaining them the science behind SZ and they only laugh at me.

2 Likes

I’ll be your DM friend if you want.

1 Like

Thank you. What does DM mean?

1 Like

Direct message.

1 Like

Ok. Thank you. 1515151515

1 Like

TBH I only have my Mum to speak to about my MH and while she’s understanding she doesn’t have a wide knowledge.
If I were you I would try and not bother mentioning hallucinations to them unless you are asked directly, and instead tell them more of the emotional sides. When you’re feelings down, anxious, paranoid, restless etc. Maybe they’d understand that better.

1 Like

My family thought I was possessed. They are super religious and they believe all mental illness is a form of possession. They are nuts and they definitely are of no support.

1 Like

The possession belief stuff is so middle agey.

Probably my church mates might or might not say the same thing. They might know someone with a MI.

Had a church mate tell me that also its hard for people to understand

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.