I tried to teach my son Japanese

I tried to teach him “good morning “. He said,” I don’t like Japanese.” Didn’t expect that response. I thought :thought_balloon: I was being cool.

5 Likes

Awww kids are like that sometimes. Just try to show him how cool it is

2 Likes

Kids don’t always appreciate interesting things the first go around. I know I was reluctant to learn and know certain things as a kid for no real reason other than that I wanted to learn them on my own.

2 Likes

LOL my little sisters are the same way. I’m learning Japanese and sometimes try to teach them things and they just roll their eyes.

2 Likes

Are you Japanese, @Loke?

1 Like

@Loke How old is your son? Usually Beginners Japanese is taught at the senior level of high school or the freshman year of college/university.

1 Like

No. I took Japanese in college years ago

1 Like

Thanks for responding. I was just curious.

Yeah. I took it in college. The only thing I tried to teach him(he’s 8) was “good morning”.

2 Likes

That’s cool. I’ve been dabbling in languages for years. I just like languages and culture. How about you?

Kids usually resist learning foreign languages from non native speakers. I know I did as a kid. My mother tried to teach us kids Spanish, but, she was a white woman. She didn’t know Spanish all that well. And my father, who was full blooded Mexican, never taught us his language, except for curse words. Words that I’m afraid us girls were never supposed to hear. My father had nothing but contempt for his “gringo” family.

Eight years old is quite young to learn a new language but then o’hai’yo is a very simple word. Maybe when he is a teenager he’ll learn???

1 Like

Young children learn languages all the time. As a matter of fact that’s when we all learn language: when we are very, very young. It’s just that kids are smart enough to know when an adult has full knowledge of a language and when they don’t. If you don’t, they don’t take you seriously and don’t, can’t learn.

1 Like

I really don’t know but assume you have a child and tried to parent him/her. I, myself am just guessing. Definitely by age 14, children in highschool will have the choice to begin learning a new language.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.