I think the label does matter

I talked to my psychiatrist over the phone. I said I wanted to change my diagnosis from schizophrenia back to bipolar because I had been assessed in 2016 with bipolar and a good prognosis. I said it sounded more accurate to me. He said, “Yeah but remember what your dad said?” I made the mistake of bringing my dad in on one session and he said that I had a history of schizophreia to get the label changed. My dad also volunteers at the state run board of the clinic where I see my psychiatrist. He’s the head chairman of the board. I am not sure if that is at all a conflict of interest or not. My mom sees the same psychiatrist too.

I just feel too overwhelmed by my family; like the walls are closing in around me. The control is too much for a thirty-one year old. I’m on Aristada and he won’t take me off it and I want to go back to pills not a two-month injection. The side effects don’t seem to matter to them. Not to mention I have become more psychotic since seeing the psychiatrist for the past two years than before that.

I’m afraid if I stop the injection I’ll induce withdrawal psychosis. Aristada is a new drug, made of a different formula “nano-crystal” medicine and I’m scared it’s really messing with me. I’m glad Trump signed the executive order so my psychiatrist can’t get kickbacks anymore I really want to get off this expensive medicine.

1 Like

That’s a valid concern. I’d vouch for a tested AP instead. Something like Invega.

The voice in my subconscious told me that hallucinations are part of the evolution of consciousness and God and not to fear being off the medication but to be prepared to hallucinate more of existence.

Nah, sorry. The voices try to justify their own existence, but ultimately they will keep you down. They’re a manifestation of the stress / inflammation in you, and if you keep pushing those neurological pathways, you get more of that.

2 Likes

Bipolar is more accepted than schizophrenia. I’d rather be called bipolar too

1 Like

I’ve been on Abilify for 15 years. Aristada is supposed to be a better formula of Abilify in the injection format. I don’t doubt it’s an effective medication. I just have a spiritual/conscious objection to psychiatry itself. I’m taking Strattera 40mgs a day, Aristada every two months, Topamax 25mgs a day, and Minocycline every day.

That’s exactly what i said and he said, well you don’t have to tell anyone about diagnosis. I mean speak for yourself as–hole.

1 Like

I know. And by masking the symptoms I am making them worse. If I was just free of medication and smoked a tiny bit of weed every now and then/good weed/ then I would be healing rather than all these medicines with long-term side effects. My vision has gotten worse. I have astigmatism, my weight has gotten worse and I have gained 80 pounds since starting Aristada.

Weed won’t heal you. It weakens the blood-brain barrier. Even the CBD strains.

It seemed to in the past. It all depends on your perspective. If you use it as a medicine it can help a bit. I don’t smoke anymore. I can’t with the medication I’m on and whatever I had was horrible.

I can understand your objection to pharma, but there’s not much going on that counters psychosis besides antipsychotics. Amyloban 3399 is worth a try though, it helped a handful of people on this forum.

2 Likes

Do you know of any good types that are less expensive. My mom says she might order some.

Sorry, it has to be specifically Amyloban 3399. Regular lion’s mane doesn’t have antipsychotic properties.

Did they help your negative and cognitve symptoms? I want to try Strattera…

1 Like

Ok, well my brother ironically was just talking on the phone to my mom about something like this. He said this type of mushroom supplement he’s taking helps with CMT a muscle/nerve condition that my mom and I also have.

Lots of mushroom supplements out there. Only heard of Amyloban 3399 making a difference for positive symptoms though.

1 Like

Yes. It has definitely helped with the negative symptoms and cognitive. I am more able to maintain my emotions. Before I was blank/flat and sleeping a lot. I thought I would never get my emotions back. I was also dealing with addiction. Strattera stopped the impulsive behaviors/drug seeking and also calmed my emotions/lifted my mood. I am increasing it today from 25mgs to 40mgs to see if it will have more of an effect. It seems to have a great improvement, but its a gradual thing and eventually the effects seem to wear off or become less obvious. But as long as you’re careful it can be a great help with the depression. Of course I am also on Aristada which helps balance my moods/anti-psychotic mood stabilizer. I have been feeling pretty good so good that I feel like I don’t have a mental illness.

And I was evaluated and told I have Bipolar1, but the psychiatrist wants to keep it at schizophrenia to keep me on the Aristada/which is only approved for schizophrenia.

1 Like

I’ve tried two of the cheaper varieties, neither did anything for me.

1 Like

So excluding the antypsychoyic, strattetera improved your negatives independently of the Abilify. Abilify did improve my negatives but gave me addiction and hypersexuality issues. I wabt to try Risperdal 4mg+Strattera 40mg.

1 Like

Have you tried Seroquel? I didn’t do well on Risperdal but everyone is different. Risperdal didn’t help it increased my psychosis. Seroquel works well, but can be sedating which could be countered by the Strattera and might be less intense with 40mgs of Strattera.