I think stamina is good too. when i workout

when i train i like to train for both strength and stamina. i have no need to be a powerlifter or anything with massive amount of weight. anyways stamina is for me the average joe, so i can get through a 8-12 hour workday. and what i sacrifice in potential size, i gain in stamina. and hopefully it will keep my heart healthy.

I do up to 50 minutes total stationary cycling on cardio days.

Do you do lots of sets with high rep range for muscular endurance?

1 Like

To be clear, it’s broken into 2 workouts on cardio day.

i was trying to do 37 reps in one set for deep squats and for deadlift, other exercises i work for time. like 3 minutes reps and 2 minutes rest. i use low weight and hope to slowly increase my strength while also improving my stamina. and i do a quick 10 minute jog followed by a 10 minute walk on my treadmill, if im not sore from leg days.

Training with weights will tend to burn more muscle glycogen than fat no matter how you do them.

However, if you burn more calories than you take in you will still lose weight.

This may not be the easiest way to attain that goal.

It surely is a great way to get muscular endurance.

1 Like

like a lot of jobs i’ve worked, ive had to lift 50 pound bags of flour 200 times a shift for example so i feel like i need stamina more than bulk. just need to be strong enough to lift 50 pounds continuosly.

1 Like

right now im up to 115 pounds (52 kg) on deadlifts and deep squats and i can do each for 37 reps. my goal is 225 pounds for each exercise and i won’t increase weight after that.

i choose 37 reps because it is a prime number and because i hoped to reach my goals by age 37. although it doesn’t look like i will be the strength i would like in a year’s time.

Being a fat vs. carb burner helps. There’s no glycogen and carb bonking in athletes that are adapted to burning mostly fat. We carry more energy in body fat than glycogen. Was demonstrated by Phinney and Volek.

1 Like

https://litfl.com/ketoacidosis/#:~:text=ketoacidosis%20is%20a%20high%20anion,a%20state%20of%20increased%20ketogenesis.

1 Like

“ketoacidosis is a high anion gap metabolic acidosis due to an excessive blood concentration of ketone bodies”

" CAUSES

The three major types of ketosis are:

1. Starvation ketosis"
1 Like

Ketoacidosis is not to be confused with nutritional ketosis. The former is a medical emergency in diabetics. The latter is a normal physiological state.

1 Like

Its not you didn’t read, starvation can cause it:

CAUSES

The three major types of ketosis are:

1. Starvation ketosis
  2. Alcoholic ketoacidosis
  3. Diabetic ketoacidosis
1 Like

STARVATION KETOSIS

• when hepatic glycogen stores are exhausted (eg after 12-24 hours of total fasting), the liver produces ketones to provide an energy substrate for peripheral tissues.
  • ketoacidosis can appear after an overnight fast but it typically requires 3 to 14 days of starvation to reach maximal severity.
1 Like

Sure, but it’s ketosis, not ketoacidosis. Remember the brain can only use glucose and ketones, and the liver will manufacture ketones, otherwise well you know.

1 Like

Do you read my posts?

• ketoacidosis can appear after an overnight fast but it typically requires 3 to 14 days of starvation to reach maximal severity.
1 Like

They say carb starvation causes mild-moderate ketoacidosis, idk how severe is that:

• the acidosis even with quite prolonged fasting is only ever of mild to moderate severity with keto-anion levels up to a maximum of 3 to 5 mmol/l and plasma pH down to 7.3.
1 Like

From the same article:

typical keto-anion levels are only 1 to 2 mmol/l and this will usually not alter the anion gap.
the acidosis even with quite prolonged fasting is only ever of mild to moderate severity with keto-anion levels up to a maximum of 3 to 5 mmol/l and plasma pH down to 7.3.

1 Like

Yea but we don’t know how bad a mild-moderate ketoacidosis is. Again we need a Dr opinion.

1 Like

Do not conflate starvation with nutritional ketosis. In nutritional ketosis you limit cabs, but eat protein and fat to maintenance and satiety. That’s not starvation.

If you want accessible science on this get a Phinney and Volek book. Or read the faq at virtahealth.com

Ok so Keto is not cutting all carbs?