I think my mom might become homeless

She quit her jobs and she told me yesterday people won’t call her for an interview. She’s 61 so she should’ve saved enough money to retire by now but I don’t think she has a lot of money saved. She lives near Madison, WI so I was hoping she can find a homeless shelter there otherwise she’ll have to live in her car. I don’t know why she hasn’t been saving money all these years. My dad has been saving money for a long time and can retire whenever he wants to. I don’t have any money saved because I don’t plan on ever retiring if I ever do go back to work.

1 Like

https://www.womenshelters.org/cit/wi-madison

https://housingapartments.org/wisconsin_rentals/madison_wi_city

Hope some of these can help. There are more options for her since she is over 55.

4 Likes

It is quite hard to live in a car. I did manage to live in my auto over two years in America 20 years ago. Well I was young, I had just gone through a divorce and I made my own food and used some facilities to take showers and keep myself clean. After two years I became tired of living in my car and I shipped it to Europe and moved back to the country of my origin. However, I must say that there were some good things in living in my car. I drove twice from Miami to LA/SF and back and then I visited bigger cities such as NYC, Washington DC, Atlanta and others. It was nice to wake up early in the morning in Miami Beach and go to gaze the sunrise. However the auto living has also its costs and for me it was always important to find a secure location for my car and myself to sleep well. I once was in NYC and spent my nights a couple of blocks from the WTC buildings (this was 10 months before the 911 event) and near the Battery Park. But I was young then and somehow I had a lot of courage. I did have an address where I received all my mails. I did use also many libraries and other Internet access places such as universities to get my emails and browse the net.

1 Like

Can she temporarily live with you?

1 Like

I know it’s hard to live in a car. I don’t know how long my mom could do it. Maybe her mom can help her out with rent money like she used to.

She can’t live with me. I live with my dad and stepmom and they don’t want her at their house because they think she’s mentally ill. We don’t have room for her anyway and plus my mom is really messy.

3 Likes

That’s too bad. :frowning: if she’s mentally ill, maybe she could stay in a group home until she gets into senior housing

1 Like

She doesn’t believe she’s mentally ill so I don’t think she would try to live in a group home.

2 Likes

I’m sorry. What an awful situation

3 Likes

My mom told me yesterday that she spends all day on Facebook and she’s been texting me all day every day. I guess she’ll just have to live in her car.

No that’s terrible!
Tell her to live in supportive housing or 55+ housing situation.

2 Likes

Contact the Salvation Army, they might be able to help.
But don’t allow her to live in her car!

1 Like

I’ll tell her to look for homeless shelters in her area. Hopefully she can stay somewhere until she gets a job and an apartment.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.