I think I've taken a "step down"

I was stable for 6 years but over the last week or so I can feel like the disease has progressed somewhat.

I feel like I’ve taken a step down the ladder in every way.

I thought it was temporary but I’m not sure now. I’m still hoping against hope it’s just a bad patch.

1 Like

It’s most likely just a rough patch, those happen, but they also pass.
Has anything in your med regimen or diet changed? Are you under more stress than usual? How is your sleep?

3 Likes

Any changes in supplements?

1 Like

Nothings changed med or diet wise. Not under more stress. Sleep is good and hasn’t changed.

1 Like

I’ve cut l-theanine down to 600mg from 750mg a day. That’s the only thing. That doesn’t explain the dramatic change though.

maybe count and write down your blessings

3 Likes

d00d, we all go through bad patches. You can’t be up without also being down at points. Just keep doing all of the things you’re supposed to be doing and this too shall pass.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

What got worse? Positive or negative symptoms?
If positive ask your psychiatrist about it.

1 Like

Congnition seems to be the biggest change for the worse. Followed by mood (feel more depressed).

You have sza or sz? Both ways ask your psychiatrist about these.

1 Like

Remember that cognition can be exercised just like muscles. I know you aren’t big on brain training games, but something like a crossword or candy crush or something might help. I’m sorry you are having a down spell. It is never fun to be reminded of your limits, or to have them shrink.

3 Likes

I found them helpful, but at the end of the day I’d spend an hour on one and feel like I accomplished nothing. That’s why I switched to auditing more courses at edx.org and also working on restoring my French fluency. Learning a new language and online classes are great (and productive) ways to sharpen the old noodle back up.

3 Likes

Ah yes, learning new things is great. For the same reason, I learned crochet and chocolate making from youtube tutorials.

I think i’m a bit depressed now too, it sucks, i’m hoping its just temporary as well.

2 Likes

I’m with Squirrel. Trying to keep my brain sharp has really helped keep some of my cognition.

I like picking a new subject that I wouldn’t otherwise have any experience with. Even a language.

My personal favorite is science. Maybe something along those lines for you?

Wishing you well EH!

2 Likes

@everhopeful

It may be environmental. The coronavirus is taking a toll on everyone’s mental health, consciously or subconsciously, and now scientists are talking about a second wave.

Just something you may want to consider.

4 Likes

The best way to exercise the brain is through physical exercise. Especially running, burpees and squats.

Next best way is by learning new things like languages or musical instruments.

These are massive amount of l-theanine dose per day. No wonder your positive symptoms coming back as your body get used to this massive dosage and tolerance build to it requiring more and more dose to feel same effect.

I suggest you to slowly taper this l theanine dose. It may require you to change your psych medicine but remaining in these massive dose is not the proper way to manage positive symptoms…

2 Likes

For improving cognition play games based on problem solving, planning etc. In lumosity brain training app there is game called pirate passage its one of the best game for improving cognition. Try it.

1 Like

I feel like I’m taking a step down also. It seems like I’m slipping in every way possible. But, I increased my l-theanine dosage to 1,500-2,000mg a day, and that seems to help with my paranoia and hallucinations.

1 Like