I think I need a behavior to replace smoking

Whenever I want to take a break from forum and guitar this afternoon, I end up walking around the house aimlessly. It’s at this point that I start thinking about having a cigarette. It is also during these breaks that I am tempted to food as an alternative consumption to cigarettes. This is really not something I should do because of diabetes and weight control.

I can only play the same songs over and over so many times before I want to take a break. A month ago, I would have gone outside and had a cigarette to reset, and then came back inside and resumed.

I wish I could think of something to do that would give me an excuse to go outside for a few minutes and reset. It’s tempting me to start vaping again as an alternate behavior. Dunno if I really want to do that though.

Anyway, just typing this out while I take a break from guitar. Anyone have suggestions?

3 Likes

I’d say drink water.

8 Likes

I second the water. But also maybe go on a walk outside or a run, or play video games.

2 Likes

I’m chewing nicorette all day. i don’t miss going outside as that was every damn hour. there’s a few picnic tables behind the maintenance sheds. I notice i’m cranky in the mornings before i get my patch on and my gum in my mouth. after dinner last night i needed one.

2 Likes

Try resetting with a flavored water. Like cans of water - the LaCroix brand is a good one.

Edited: It does not have artificial sweeteners.

2 Likes

I would get a drone or robot airplane and fly them outside as a break.

3 Likes

It can help to identify the thing that makes smoking enjoyable for you, and then look for replacements that still meet that need. Is it relaxing? Is it a way to fidget while getting outdoors? Is it a soothing motion?

These have been helpful for a relative of mine. It isn’t electronic or anything. Mostly just a tube that you have to to slow, deep breaths through.

3 Likes

Honestly i tried quitting cigarettes and failed over and over until i started vaping.

Then tapering off of vaping. It was way easier to quit vaping.
Took about 2 years of vaping though.

I think it has to do with something so satisfying about real tobacco.
And vaping was a great stepping stone - it satisfied the nicotine and behavior,
but vaping is like taking in cotton candy air.

3 Likes

Maybe holding your breath? They say the relaxing effects from cigarettes are from the deep inhales

2 Likes

Maybe allow yourself a little snack every now and then which doesen’t rasie blood sugar too much. Don’t be too hard on yourself, but I think you will be fine as long as you are concious about what and how much you consume.

2 Likes

I went ahead and ordered one to try Ninja. I will give it a shot. Thx.

2 Likes

also, thank you to all who have made suggestions.

Your dog would be thrilled to get in a few short walks a day :wink:

2 Likes

Have a cinnamon candy.

3 Likes

Thanks @CoCo @TomCat

I’m actually going to take dog for a walk now for a break. Not sure if its something I want to do every time I need a break though. MIght get to be a bit much :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Lol! Anytime you do something other than smoke, you’re doing great! So if it’s just one or two walks a day it’s still a success

2 Likes

I don’t know how your outdoors is set up, but we have a railed front porch with a walkway up. We sometimes flip a chair sideways to block the walkway, and then just leave the door cracked open so the dog can join us out there. He is terrible off leash, but he can safely wander around the porch with us.

2 Likes

Vaping replaced my need for nicotine and something to do with my hands. It’s like a never ending cig that doesn’t stink and pwrfect for just a couple hits here and there.

You can step down the nicotine level until it is 0. I personally can go all day without hitting it even though I have high nic levels in my juice.

1 Like

Yeah I get very bored easily and I’ll walk around the house aimlessly or I’ll rest on the couch when I’m not on my phone.
I agree with what @Jinx and @Froge said, drink plenty of water.
This is what I try to do. @Bowens

1 Like

Well the only thing I can think of is, you can smoke a cigarette.

1 Like