Schizophrenia.com

“I think I’m a shame to my society.”

Let me know what you think.

3 Likes

I’ve never understood the concepts of shame or a family’s social standing. Who cares what other people think about you or your family? I guess I’m a product of the western world. This article makes me thankful for the resources available for disabled people in the US.

That part about not building the school was really sad.

I wrote this article.
I live in Korea and I’ve seen it all. The disputes, the angry glances at my mom because she’s a parent of a disabled child, and the angry people against schizophrenics. I’ve seen it all.

I don’t hate Koreans. I’m Korean, after all. But I cannot stay silent.

I’ve been having nightmares about living here and it’s driving me into so much sadness.

3 Likes

Why they angry? you don t do against to law.we are just sick god sake. A brain malfunction thats all. Everybody can have one.world is going to be really crazy place.

I’m really sorry you have to put up with that kind of thing :frowning:

Malcolm Gladwell wrote a book about how some cultures are more socially hierarchical than others, and the hierarchical culture is reflected in the structure of their language. E.g. Japanese and Korean languages have a lot of words for ‘Honorable Sir’ etc whereas English is a relatively unhierarchical language.

Gladwell also referred to something call ‘the power distance’, which is the average difference in hierarchy levels across the whole population. In the USA the power distance is zero, and in the UK (a notoriously class ridden society) the power distance is 5. I’m proud to say as an Irishman that Ireland ranks second only to the USA in having the lowest average power distance, at zero point five.

This explains why social standing is perceived as more important in some cultures than others.

2 Likes

That might also be a cause, but Korean society is based on Confucian beliefs. Family reputation is highly important. If one ends up being disabled or schizophrenic, this person ends up being a disgrace.

I’ve been told by my mom to never talk about genetics of my disease. She told me to carry schizophrenia to the grave. She told me to stay away from other people with disabilities.

Sometimes, the greatest cause of suffering is your own family shunning you because you have a disability that you didn’t want.

2 Likes

The feeling is the same with me.

The article was a good read. Well thought out. With that being said, in Mexico people seem to be less judgemental in some parts about people with mental disorders in the sense that they are not aggressively ridiculed. Instead many people are more like, “Pobrecito esta enfermo.” Roughly translates to, “Poor boy, he is ill.” Some sympathy is shown to relatives. However there is still the stigma of “Don’t talk to that person” type.

Recently, do to the large amount of drugs that are a major problem in Mexico, many equate mental illness to drug use now, much like some places in the U.S. I’ve been asked if I or my parents did drugs before. Usually, schizophrenia is not something I mention around people I have recently met.

In fact, the majority of my online Dungeons and Dragons group is not aware that I have schizophrenia. The ones I shared with that I have a cognitive disability assumed I meant autism so I went with it for fear of being viewed differently as happens when schizophrenia is mentioned. Sadly, it is usually a secret one has to hide. After I was first diagnosed, I was open about telling friends about it. Now I have less friends. I learned my lesson the hard way.

1 Like

Thanks for the post.

I’m not sure if my moms situation would have improved, If my mom disclosed her struggle with schizophrenia, at least not at the time. Now that I’m older I can appreciate her experience as I’m starting to see the prejudice for myself. It’s sad.

I’m sorry you’re enduring such unimaginable hardships @plorans-ploravit. I wish things were better where you are.

I wish, too.
The world is a scary place. I don’t like to live it and I pray to God to take my life away.
I’ll never end my life on my own. I’ll go when it’s my time for me to go.

1 Like

My dad’s Korean and he’s never been anything but amazing and supportive :expressionless:

That’s so good. My dad isn’t really supportive other than my education.

If it makes you feel any better, I live in the U.S. and I feel often that when I deal with doctors (MD’s) they treat me different. This is worse than it sounds on the surface for two reasons; I don’t really interact with many people, and they are doctors so they shouldn’t be judgemental.

Of course, I may be misjudging, but I don’t think so.

1 Like