Schizophrenia.com

I think I honestly hate life

(Not suicidal)

I’ve just come to the conclusion that I’ve never liked life or what it entails. I hate the inequality so many people experience (and am aware I can help but I also cannot solve everything). I hate studying, I hate working, I hate doing relaxing things/nothing. I know conventional success won’t take this pain away; I only desire success for the sake of helping my loved ones. I do love the people in my life but yeah, I’m not thrilled with my own existence.

I think my best bet is learning to be content in misery. I’m being treated for depression but this distaste for life feels distinctly different from depression. It seems like something I can live with but that will never go away.

I’ll reiterate that I’m not suicidal. I’ll keep living because may as well finish out the punishment of being alive lol.

Can anyone relate/offer advice for dealing with this?

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear this, I have no useful advice, just an Internet hug.

I can sort of relate, in the sense that I sometimes relapse into feeling like idk how to not dislike my life path.

2 Likes

I feel the same way.

But … The best thing someone who has mental illness can do is look after themselves first.

3 Likes

Thanks @anon83141956 and @everhopeful

It feels like there can be too much of an emphasis on powering through what we deal with as mentally ill people. I’m not saying there’s no value in building up and treasuring resilience, but I don’t believe in letting it overshadow the harsh realities of dealing with what has been determined to be one of the most disabling ailments a person can have.

3 Likes

When I’m feeling bad I hate life. When I’m feeling good, a lot of it ain’t that bad. Things could easily be a lot worse.
My perspective on life can change from day to to day. I feel hopeless and extremely frustrated some days. But sometimes all it takes to reverse that is a good day at work.
Or something as simple as a smile from someone friendly.

4 Likes

Thanks @77nick77

It could just be that I’ve been feeling bad for a very long time. I’ve also been out of work for well over a year. Even though I said I hated working in the opening post of this thread, people have told me I seem happier when I’m working. No shame whatsoever to those who don’t/can’t work though. The rat race is pretty appalling.

2 Likes

Thinking life sucks is a bad cognitive habit. Train yourself to say life is good. I had the same problem for a long time. So now every time I get off work I say life is good. Or if I do something good I say life is good. When its good say its good when its bad just say oh fuc!

2 Likes

I’ve heard it said that life is something to be endured, not enjoyed. I’ve heard other people say this, but sometimes it seems to me that everyone is having a great time and leading stellar lives except me. I’ve heard other people in AA say that. It seems like everyone has been given a little instruction book for life, except them. They call that “judging your insides by other people’s outsides.” Try to focus on things you enjoy personally - reading, fishing, painting, gardening, walking, that should help at least a little.

4 Likes

It is possible that you life can get better in the future. You life can change in an instant. It is possible that you can meet a friend or a spouse. Do you like socializing? Do you ever experience joy, or happiness?

1 Like

I understand your feelings. I used to feel the same way. Now, I’m happy. I’ve been through he** and back. I feel grateful for what I have. Time heals and changes one’s perspective of life. So, hold on and hang in there!! You might be in a valley but will one day reach another peak .

1 Like

As cliche as it sounds, one day at a time has been some of the best advice I’ve ever gotten. A little bit of effort when you can handle it, can pay large over time. And when you have a shity day, tomorrow can look a lot better

For me, something physical is the most direct way to feel better. A little bit of exercise, oxygenating the blood…

1 Like