I talked to a

102 year old sweetie today. She lives in the nursing home down the street from me. I visit this nursing home every Thursday afternoon. I will say her name is Alice. She is a little doll and she is frail but mentally sharp. According to her portrait on the wall, she used to be a very beautiful blonde. Now, she is an adorable white haired lady.

She tells me that the nursing home has gone through four management and name changes. She tells me that she suspects that all the changes have each been due to bankruptcies. I had to laugh at that.

I marveled aloud to her at all of the stuffed animals in her room window. She said that she won all of them playing Bingo. I told her that I never won anything at Bingo. She told me that she wins all of the time and that she loves playing. She told me the stories about some of the larger dolls. She told me that when she was a young girl, she never received any dolls and now, in her very old age, she has lots and lots of dolls that she has won in Bingo. She says that she marvels at that all of the time.

11 Likes

I admire your courage to be a giver.

1 Like

That’s so sweet. When my late grandmother was in a nursing home, my brother and I used to take our clarinets up there and play for the patience. They loved it. Once my brother is done with school and doesn’t need the clarinet anymore, I hope to pick it back up and maybe play at the nursing home down the street.

2 Likes

I adore older people…people have told me that I need to play the banjo and guitar for an old folks home but my anxiety gets the best of me in crowds, even if it is just elderly people…feel bad that I won’t help out. good for you for going. That was a nice endearing story about what you learned about the 102 yr. old woman !!

2 Likes

Jukebox - would you be comfortable playing/singing in the dining room while people are just eating?

1 Like

no @pob I couldn’t do that…maybe if I had someone go with me. Maybe I could get Angie to go with me.

1 Like

Maybe. Ask Angie. If you freaked out, your exit wouldn’t be noticed by many people.

@SkinnyMe one of my goals is to volunteer either at a nursing home or food bank. How did you get started?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.