I suspect adenovirus

I suspect the inlaws bearded dragon gas adenovirus. He’s stargazing which is when a bearded dragon stares up at the ceiling for a long period of time, he is black bearding and has stress marks.

I told them and they’re not listening. Its highly contagious so my bearded dragon could get it. I hope I’m wrong and its nothing. My kaisei isn’t as likely to get it since he’s over two years old but it could happen.

4 Likes

Hope your dragons are okay @cbbrown. It’s a good thing you are so knowledgeable about these things.
Hugs.

1 Like

Could you perhaps set up some sort of temporary tank for one of the beardies until the other improves? Then thoroughly clean out the tank & put it back?

1 Like

They are separated in different tanks because bearded dragons aren’t suppose to be in the same enclosures. Adenovirus is transferrable through even using the same surface for preparing food.

Its not as contagious as coccidia

2 Likes

Hopefully then if you keep everything super clean and their tanks far apart then it will help :disappointed: Wishing the best for your lizard friends

2 Likes

So far Leo is ok, I convinced the inlaws to take him to the exotic vet I took Leo and kaisei too in February.

1 Like

I took Leo out of the tank he is still stressed but he hasn’t star gazed since Sunday. I went with to the emergency appointment, they checked his feces. He doesn’t have adenovirus. But I suggested to my inlaws maybe wrap the tank with newspaper for stress relief. He keeps seeing his own reflection that may be why he’s stressed. Young males are very territorial.

1 Like

Haha glad to hear it is not anything serious. Poor boy.

2 Likes

They have bought their own superworms but they haven’t been gut loading them. That’s when you feed the bugs or prey of an animal to give them more nutrition. I usually put lettuce, cucumber or carrots.

1 Like

Ah yes when I worked at my animal science program we had a MASSIVE bin of crickets, we’d leave oranges and things in there for them and they just reproduced on their own.

We had bearded dragons there, 2 of them, but they were in the same enclosure. It was a pretty big fancy tank. They never fought or anything. Super chill. Females maybe? Who knows.

2 Likes

Some bearded dragons can be kept together but most of the time they should be separated. Leo is a 18 month old male and extremely territorial. If he even sees his reflection he bobs his head and his beard puffs out turning black.

1 Like

Yeah I remember the first time I saw ones beard turn black it was on an internet video. I worked at that program years and never saw our beardies do that once. They were really sweet, some of my favorite reptiles there. Other lizards would freak out when you had to handle them and you’d get smacked by spiky tails or scratched by long claws but they would just hang out.

2 Likes

Kaisei is extremely mellow, but he’s older than Leo. I noticed kaisei loves to snuggle especially on mine or my partner’s chest and neck.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.