I start my psych rotation soon

It starts in about a month. I’m very excited, we’ll be placed in a state hospital. The clinical is only once a week instead of our usual 2 which is a bit disappointing but oh well. I’ve never done inpatient before only PHP. Does anyone have any words of wisdom as to what to expect or things they wish their nurse would’ve done for them when they did inpatient for me? I want to do well at this clinical since this is what I want to do with my life!

4 Likes

That’s exciting! Just be kind and understanding to your patients and you’ll do fine!

2 Likes

Be yourself. You’ll do great. Good luck.

2 Likes

Good luck! :slight_smile:

If you make an agreement/appointment with a patient to talk at a certain time, do your best to uphold it.
Don’t share too much of your personal life, rememeber they are the patients, not you.
And relax. You’ll be fine :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Being able to spot that I’m completely out of my mind psychotic despite being able to hold a conversation. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

That could be tough. I guess it’s about knowing the right questions to ask. I know what you’re talking about though when I’m very ill I can still hold conversation and appear normal.

1 Like

Try to learn their names! This made a huge difference to who I trusted in the hospital.

3 Likes

I always felt like, “I can’t help these people”, “I can’t help myself”. But then, I wasn’t medicated at the time and I was actively psychotic and depressed at the time I was in nursing school. I felt helpless in psych rotation. Your situation must be different.

1 Like

I feel the opposite way. I came from a really bad place in life, just constant seemingly endless suffering, to this place where I am totally functional and symptom free so I have this mindset that if I could do it it’s possible for anyone. I want to give people that hope.

2 Likes

Good luck to you. The thing I appreciated the most about the nurses were that when they spoke to me it was as if I were normal. No special attitude or agenda in the conversation.

3 Likes

Good luck. It can be stressful so don’t take work home with you and have an outlet to destress!

1 Like

This is great! Your insight is your special gift. You’ll do very well. Enjoy!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.