I quit intensive therapy today

The program repeats from beginning to end 4 times. I’ve done 3, and just don’t want to do it all over again. I’ve learned a lot of skills to deal with life and I’m doing a lot better. I’m sick of analyzing my thoughts and actions on a daily basis. It feels self obsessed. But don’t get me wrong - I’ll still be using everything I learned.

4 Likes

That’s how I felt about DBT…some of it was useful, but they kept trying to shove it down my throat, and they kept saying “just use your skills!” whenever I was struggling. I’ve done better since I quit going, tho I still utilize some of the teachings.

2 Likes

I feel like therapy becomes a broken record after a while. I can predict what my therapist will say. Im prwtty sure every week we have talked about his old panic attacks in comparison to paranoia. Which while they might seem similar. Paranoia is much worse.

1 Like

Geez, that really sounds awful.

There is such a thing as being waaay too self-aware for one’s own good.

3 Likes

I completely agree @Schztuna . It’s too self obsessed and unnatural

2 Likes

Yeah. I plan to keep using skills as the need arises. I’m glad you’re doing better

Yeah. And that gets old fast

Yea, totally.

Too much of that self-analyzing stuff, and you suddenly find yourself headed straight for Neurosis-ville.

…Done my fair share of that back in the day :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Yup! That’s exactly how I feel. Neurotic.

1 Like

I find therapy tedious at most times. It’s all so analysing it drives me nuts…“how does that make you feel?”… Argh!

1 Like

Then in intensive therapy you analyze those feelings and determine appropriate skills to use to cope with those feelings.

1 Like

I fully support you in this decision. I honestly think you are doing it for the right reason. I believe that many people need 4, you, being of high intellect, do not require that. Congrats on getting through that program and I’m glad you got so much out of it.

1 Like

Thanks @Leaf. They reached out to me twice today. They want me to come back next week and go over pros and cons of leaving vs staying. Also, they want me to tell everyone I’m leaving for closure. At this point, I don’t want to do it. I’ll think it over throughout the week though

1 Like

This in itself is intense. I think you leaving is ok. Maybe it just wasn’t for you and that’s ok.

1 Like

Thanks for understanding @SpringRose . When I first expressed interest in quitting, they asked me if they should be contacting me regularly to keep me accountable for doing my homework. I kid you not. I thought that was not ok and said no thank you

1 Like

Good for you. I don’t blame you.

1 Like

what is this, some kind of cult or something? Jeez. If they need some kind of closure that’s their problem. Do you need closure?

1 Like

No. I don’t feel I need closure. They just really believe in their program and want to see everyone succeed. But it can really be annoying, and overwhelming

1 Like

Almost to the stalker level. They are not really thinking with your best ninterest in mind right now, remember that. They are thinking with their best interest.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.