I no longer show signs that i am schizophrenia

Since i take my meds daily i no longer show signs that i am schizophrenia…
Does that mean i am no longer schizophrenia?

3 Likes

maybe it was just psychosis. Persons with schizophrenia still have negative and cognitive symptoms even on medication

5 Likes

Not quite sure if this is what you’re asking, but you should keep taking your meds. There’s a really good chance you’re feeling better because of them.

6 Likes

yh i been feeling non schizoprenia for along time now but i always keep on taking my meds daily

4 Likes

That’s good! I know that for me when I start to feel “better” I will forget that I’m not miraculously cured.

4 Likes

It’s impossible for me to “forget” that I have sza because I am on so darn many psychotropic drugs. I take meds three times a day everyday. It seems like I am always popping pills. That continually reminds me of my sza. Not even to mention my depot injections I get once every two weeks. That jab is a sure reminder.

3 Likes

This is known as being in full remission. I hope things stay well.

4 Likes

No. Antipsychotics are not a cure, they simply mask symptoms, the same way antidiabetic medications do not cure diabetes. This just means your medication is working.

Those who are multiepisodic have a very poor prognosis of being able to go off medication and not have another episode. If you have only had one initial episode, you could try tapering down on your med w help of doctor to see if it was an acute psychotic episode. Personally I would only recommend doing that if you think it could have been drug induced, because from what I have seen if you crumble into psychosis when under a lot of stress once, you will do so again and again. I’ve never heard of someone who had a single psychotic episode, non-drug related, that then went off meds and was fine and never had an episode again. Never.

2 Likes

Once again, @Anna has better words than me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’ve had to write out variations of that statement so many times I’m tempted to rally for a sticky to be made :weary::weary: Something like ANTIPSYCHOTICS DO NOT CURE PSYCHOSIS, THEY MASK SYMPTOMS

One of the biggest issues in the mental health care field in treating people w psychosis is they don’t stay on their AP because they falsely think their illness spontaneously went away. This leads to SO MANY hospital visits, loved ones and caretakers suffering, and of course the individual with the disorder suffering and at times even resulting in their physical harm, or suicide (Whether intentional or not) that could all be preventable otherwise.

2 Likes

If this is a democracy, you have my vote

3 Likes

I take Meds everyday and so no longer hear voices or see things that aren’t there. I don’t think I’m as smart or as hard working as I used to be, but luckily I got intelligence from both my parents and could therefore afford to drop some iq points and still get through university. My motivation for studying is that I don’t want to end up homeless. It’s my primary driving force. I don’t study as many hours a day as I did in high school but back then right before my I started developing paranoia I had a 4.5 one quarter and was averaging about a 4.0 every quarter and still played piano concertos with the high school orchestra. I used to be so proud of myself and was so driven. I’ve seriously lost major motivation since then and I enjoy almost nothing anymore. Now I’m only taking 12 units at a time while only joining one club and having either one job or volunteering. I feel like I have so much down time and spend so much time sleeping compared to high school. So yeah my drive and abilities have been seriously dampened but My Mom and especially my dad were super smart so I guess with respect to that I was super lucky

5 Likes

talk with your psychiatrist, maybe you are in remission…

3 Likes

I am also healthy on med. I think its cause i have the right med. If i was on another med i would have symptoms. Im taking olanzapine

1 Like

fine, mask it, let it play the lead in phantom of the opera.

2 Likes

Thank you @Richard888.

1 Like

I can get by with most people not noticing that there’s anything wrong with me, but I usually say something weird at least a handful of times a day, so if I’m at work or out with people, people notice there’s something off. I’m also super friendly and resist confrontation, but people at work just view me as eccentric. I do not want them to know my dx because I do not want things to change.

My boss is really cool and my managers and coworkers are nice to me. If they found out, there would at the very least be that one person talking baby talk to me. You know the one that always does it when they find out you’re sz…

I’m not ready to come out with my illness, and I may never be, so I hide behind AP’s and take them daily so I can present myself to the world as a normie instead of the unique individual I am.

It pays the bills, and I would never stop taking AP’s just to be myself. I can be myself at home and around people I trust, while on AP’s. Not worth the risk of going psychotic again.

5 Likes

I no longer show signs that I have sza either. All my positive symptoms are gone. I only hear occasional auditory hallucinations, usually at night and they don’t bother me in the least. Gd still talks to me everyday but I don’t consider that a positive symptom. I think that is a religious thing. And at least one counselor of mine confirms it. My pdoc confirms it too. All I have is cognitive symptoms (mild cognitive impairment), and a few negative symptoms: don’t like to shower or clean the house or cook or make my bed or change my clothes, etc…And I have zero mood symptoms.

4 Likes

It is good sign
Tell your doc he may withdraw his meds from your body and you ll be free :slight_smile::slight_smile:

2 Likes

A complete “cure” or a “complete recovery” seems very rare and doubtful. I’ve heard people claim it happens but it seems as time goes on they tend to still have some kind off schizophrenia-related symptoms. I hate to be negative but you have schizophrenia that is controlled by medication. Time will tell.
Enjoy yourself if your symptoms seem to be gone but remember that your symptoms may return if you stop talking your meds.

I don’t wish you anything bad, I’m just stating what I’ve learned from having schizophrenia myself, knowing other schizophrenics IRL and being on this site for 9 years. I would love for you to prove me wrong and come back later and say you feel fine and you are happy but I get cynical about certain things and one of those things is people who claim they are fully recovered or cured. Good luck and be kind to dogs and the elderly, it will make the world a better place.

2 Likes