I need to reach out but I don’t know how?

I’ve had 2 bad relationships in the last few years. The first one did everything she could to shred my reputation when we broke up. The second one, also trashing my reputation while we were still together (our relationship isn’t perfect but I have no idea why she talks about me to people like the way she does). Then I had my episode, making it worse. And just a month ago my ex/current gf did something inappropriate, and I had to cut off my last friend. I’m completely alienated now, isolated, I have no one to text aside from this girl who has been saying bad things about me behind my back for years. I need to reach out, maybe publicly, and say something along the lines of “I’m not okay” or “I need help”. None of my former friends have ever reached out after my illness and events with these two girlfriends. I have a hard time connecting with people, but I used to be very social. The isolation is becoming unbearable and I’m dependent on a person who consistently uses my illness as a scapegoat for her actions. I really need to reach out, maybe on Twitter, I just don’t know what to say without sounding unhinged, if I should say anything at all.

3 Likes

You need to let those girls go, and go somewhere and try to make new friends slowly. Do you have a mental health clinic that has peer group meetings ? If not maybe you can ask them to start some up … Even if it not just for your johndra of mental status but a mix it could give you much needed support.

1 Like

Maybe send a message on Twitter, “I’m struggling with life. Anyone willing to talk about it with me?” And see if anyone responds

1 Like

I just want to say two things. 1. I know what you’re going through on some level. 2. Don’t reach out on social media.

1. I use to party like an animal. 3-4 nights a week I lived with my bro who hosted house parties quite often. It was the best time in my life, probably that I’ll ever get. I miss hanging out with that crowd, and my diagnosis had a lot to do with that. It sucks to feel like you have no one to talk to.

2. Reaching out in a very public way seems to me like a bad idea. It could go wrong and even if someone tries to assist, the interaction won’t have any substance to it. Call your local mental health crisis line. I’ll be the first to tell you, sometimes they suck, incredibly so. But most of the time when i call them, they help me a lot and are willing to talk to me and feel like I’m an okay person.

4 Likes

I’ve thought about moving to Florida, new friends would be a good thing too but if I completely let go of the girl, then I’m alone and have no one to vouch for me or help change certain ppls beliefs about me, I feel like when people from my hs or college class think of me they associate me with misogyny or disgust. I would really have a hard time just accepting that

1 Like

I need to say that exactly, but in a sort of dignified way and a way that people will feel motivated to help. I see people post sad statuses pretty often and rarely do I see people responding to them or doing anything about it. It’s kinda ■■■■■■ up

2 Likes

I agree, something public might be the wrong way to go about it. But I have very little people to reach out to. I’m not talking mental health clinics and group therapy, but I feel like everyone I went to high school and college with just thinks I’m this horrible person. My goal is to try to change this perception somehow

1 Like

I could start trying to relate to people by posting about popular things, and having similar interests as everyone else, or even advocating for other people who are in need. But the former of this would be kinda fake and the latter I can’t find any cause relevant to my situation (without disclosing mental illness to the public)

1 Like

Yeah, whatever you decide to do, I really hope it works out for you. And you are not wrong, a real friend is literally 100 times better than therapy.

However, just bare in mind the old adage…The hardest part of becoming a different person, is changing the way people see you.

It may be time to get new friends (a whole challenge in and of itself, I know).

1 Like

That old adage is very true, I’m gonna try to make new friends but I’m gonna talk to my therapist about this Thursday too. He seems to be very good with social issues, I’m hoping he has some good advice, or can help me behave in a more “pro social” but also genuine way

2 Likes

Asking for help is hard. I have some people at the ready, but paranoia, anxieties…they just get in the way. I think you have a good plan. Best of luck, hope you feel better soon.

2 Likes

Try meetup.com to meet new people. There’s all kinds of activities for all kinds of interests and ages. I’d keep my mental illness issues to myself unless there’s someone you know you can trust. That kind of trust takes a while to build.
You could also try NAMI meetings. There for people with mental illness and they’re free. You can speak honestly about you MI there.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.