I need to quit drinking, any tips/advice?

I went out drinking last night. My problem is I dont know how to stop or how to drink casually. I binge drink.

The first bar I went to last night, I had 6 shots of tequila then the bartender cut me off. I payed and called an uber to bring me… not home, to another bar.

At next bar I had more shots of liqour, but then something embarassing happend… i ended up puking inside the bar. The bartender saw me puke and cut me off.

Then, to end my night, I went to one final bar. This time I had beer instead of liqour. It didnt sit well in my stomach and I ended up puking AGAIN when I was outside having a ciggarette. I finally called it a night after 2 pukes and 3 bars.

Another negative thing is I only smoke cigarrettes when im drunk. I have asthma so I shouldnt be smoking, at all.

My mom has told me multiple times that my drinking upsets her. She thinks I have a problem with alcohol and I think she might be right.

Anyone have any tips/advice on how to quit drinking? It will help my wallet and my health

Please keep this thread recovery based.

Thanks!

4 Likes

I’m an alcoholic, coming up to 9 years sober.

My advice is that you can’t beat alcohol on your own.

5 Likes

Congrats on being sober for so long!

3 Likes

I quit drinking too. I was driving after I drank and was pulled over by a sheriff because he saw me swerve. He just lectured me about being out in the pandemic not getting necessities. It scared me so bad I never drank again. That was May 2020. I wasn’t able to quit before then. I got scared out of drinking.

Sorry I don’t have tips or advice.

4 Likes

What he said. 30 years sober and counting in my case. I did it by attending AA. I still go, but these days it’s a case of me being there for the next person to come in like someone was there for me when I came in. Need to pay it forward.

4 Likes

Congrats on almost 3 years sober!

3 Likes

I also do this when I need to be social. I have so much anxiety so I binge drink. It makes me function like a normal person for a while.

4 Likes

That’s a very respectable thing to do.

2 Likes

Well what are your reasons for going to the bar? To drink or to socialize?
Maybe have a non alcoholic drink instead. They have non alcoholic beers and can make non alcoholic drinks at the bar too.
Water and a lime in a short highball glass looks like your drinking a vodka slime if that makes you feel more comfortable lol

2 Likes
  1. Motivation and , inspiration (from internet for example)
  2. Alcoholfree drinks
  3. Work on yourself
    4.it gets easier with time
    :crazy_face:
4 Likes

I admit to some self-interest. AAs believe the best way to keep sober is to give away one’s sobriety.

3 Likes

I have trouble limiting myself, too. I recently quit drinking, on December 4th. So, last time I drank was December 3rd.

It helps to have someone to support you and talk you out of drinking alcohol when you are wanting to drink. Do you have a friend with you, when you go to the bars? It’d be best to avoid bars in the first place, but if you’re hanging with friends, tell them that you 100% can’t drink and ask for them to help enforce that rule.

Also, having a fun nonalcoholic drink, while others have alcohol, can help you still feel included. At least, that’s how it is for me. Like, pick something you really like. I like coconut water, Gatorade Zero, sugar free sodas, tea, and stuff like that.

Good luck. :blush:

5 Likes

I’m 73 years old. I haven’t had a drink since I was 24. I only regret that I didn’t stop earlier.

7 Likes

I used to be a binge drinker and got in to lots of trouble.

Once I started drinking I wouldn’t stop.

After I had cancer I stopped drinking alcohol and didn’t have a drop for five years.

Then I had another binge vomiting on my x boyfriend brand new kitchen.

I thought if I keep drinking he may break up with me so I quit alcohol again and didn’t drink another drop for three years.

Then I had a beer and was able to just have that one beer.

Lately I’ve been having three drinks a day when I drink but not daily.
I get tipsy sometimes but not drunk like I used to.

I might quit cold turkey again and not have a drop.

Atleast I haven’t binged for a long time.

My x boyfriend and I binged together one night and he thought I was great fun when I was so drunk.

Hopefully no more binging for me.

If you can’t control it maybe it’s better to stop all together.

Find another nice drink to havd like a mock tail or soft drink.

2 Likes

I started drinking at 13 years old. Before that my dad would give me a sip off his beer when we’d go fishing sometimes. I had the thirst for alcohol young and i drank heavily for over twenty years until I didn’t want to do it anymore, and slowly weened myself off of it. It was a battle but once I got ahold of my addiction and took it seriously, well, now I can pour a drink for someone else and not even want a sip off it.

2 Likes

In bars, I get a root beer. I have the type of personality that, if I drank, I’d be an alcoholic in a week. No more addictions for me. I had enough trouble with cigarettes. Thank G. that’s over. Good luck to you, @TheCanuk

2 Likes

I would like to second @everhopeful and @velociraptor both.

Find a home group with people and a program.

Even if it’s just to check it out. A few AA meetings may point you in the right direction. Maybe rehab is in order.

I couldn’t have done it alone. While not a huge follower of the AA system, it has a lot of my respect for helping so many others.

There are other programs too. Life ring, narcotics anonymous. What worked for me was a 12 week inpatient programs, and the alumni meetings for years afterwords.

It’s not easy. I’m wishing you strength and good health.

5 Likes

Worth noting that you don’t have to be religious or even spiritual to work the Steps. To me GOD = Group Of Drunks. I can’t pull a car up a hill by myself, but with 20 of us on the rope we can together.

4 Likes

I don’t binge drink, i’m more of a daily user, about 8-10 units a day spread from morning till night.

My solution is not very good, i accept i can’t stop drinking on my own so i’m going to my rehab center where they give me disulfiram (antabuse) two times a week. If i drink on antabuse, i get sick, so i don’t drink in the periods where im on antabuse.

It’s far better if you are able to stop drinking without antabuse

Good luck with finding a method that suits you

2 Likes

Have you considered going to rehab?

That sounds dramatic,

But they’ll give you medicine to keep you from abusing alcohol and you’ll learn some coping skills.

I agree with the others that it’s best to seek help in some sort of community.

2 Likes