I need a sleeping pill recommendation

I’m currently on 100mg of Trazodone nightly for insomnia. Really the medication works pretty good, with one side effect; fatigue. I’m fatigued the next day after taking the medication. I’m really getting “tired” of dealing with this and feel I need a recommendation for a new medication. Obviously it will go through my pdoc, but I’d like to get a recommendation from people who are happy with their sleeping pills.

If you are taking a sleeping pill for insomnia that you like, what medication is it?

Thanks.

My doc prescribed me Zolpidem.

1 Like

When I was taking it, Ellavil was a good sleep drug for me. Ellavil is a tricyclic anti-depressant with a sedative added, so you are likely to get dry mouth from the drug. When I was taking it I slept well and was alert in the mornings.

1 Like

Did it help you sleep? Did it have any side effects? And is it a long term medication?

Sleep well. No side effects. SOS insomnia only :slight_smile:

1 Like

According to Wikipedia it’s an antidepressant with a side effect of making you sleepy.

Trazodone is an antidepressant of the serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitor class. It is a phenylpiperazine compound. Trazodone also has antianxiety and sleep-inducing effects. Wikipedia

So, maybe your doctor prescribed it for multiple reasons. It seems odd to prescribe an antidepressant just for sleep issues.

People can build up a tolerance to ordinary sleeping pills though, so maybe that’s why.

1 Like

Although trazodone is an antidepressent, I have never heard of it being used for depression. I have taken it for sleep in the past, and everybody who I have ever known who was taking it was prescribed it for sleep. I personally take melatonin every night for sleep, it works for me better than everything else.

2 Likes

Lunesta works great for me.

1 Like

Zopiclone is the one I turn to when I’m having trouble sleeping. I feel fine the next day after taking it

1 Like

10mg melatonin works for me.sometimes i couldn t sleep despite the take melatonin but couple of day later i start to sleep 3 4 hours.

1 Like

zyprexa gets me to sleep

1 Like

yeah i take Zopiclone when i need to aswell

1 Like

I was on that for a while.

I use temazepam. I don’t feel fatigued in the morning after using it. It’s great.

2 Likes

i have used doxepin for the last year and a half and it works great for me i wake up rested

1 Like

I am not a doctor.

5Mg ambien works sometimes…

1 Like

I have Melatonin, Nitrazepam, Zopiclone, Alimemazin, oxazepam for sleeping depending on the sleeping problem. Nitrazepam if I wake up every hour, Zopiclone if I have trouble to fall asleep. I also combine them if I have complete insomnia. But you can’t take bensodiazepines night after night! You easily get addicted to them and need higher doses.

1 Like