I moved and now can't get my meds

My old medical service provider was a company called Kaiser Permanente. They are exclusive to the West coast United States and provide both insurance and healthcare. When I moved, I moved outside of their “Service Area” so I had to sign up for new insurance and a new medical provider/Dr office locally.

The problem is that my first appointment with my new doctor is still a few weeks away and they won’t prescribe my medications until they physically see me. I asked if they can give me an exception because I’ve only got a few days left of medications. They said it is illegal for them to prescribe meds without seeing me first and told me my previous doctor is responsible for my medications until I can be seen by them.

I contacted my old doctor’s office and was told I am no longer allowed to send messages or contact my old doctor because I’m no longer a member as I no longer live within their “Service Area”. When I tried contacted their pharmacist’s direct line, they told me they couldn’t help me because I’m no longer a member.

So am I hosed because nobody will see me to prescribe my usual medications before I run out? I feel like this kind of thing shouldn’t ever happen given how dangerous it can be. What if I run out of medication and get shocked into psychosis or end up trying to kill myself? They said to never stop taking it or that could happen. I’m honestly kinda scared because I haven’t been cut off from my meds before.

Has anybody else had or even heard of a similar problem and know a way to get out of it?

I guess this is what I get for trusting in our healthcare system. If I wouldn’t have taken those damn pills to begin with, I wouldn’t be in the predicament.

Idk for sure. But maybe an urgent care can help you. If you have one near you I would give them a call and explain your situation.

2 Likes

Did you ask Kaiser what you are supposed to do in this situation? Maybe call just to ask what patients are supposed to do in your situation. Just be polite and ask for advice. I’m sure other people have been in similar situations and ask Kaiser what other people do. It’s just asking for advice and nothing else. If they still don’t give you any help maybe just ask them if they know anyone else you can call for help. It may not work but I couldn’t imagine them rejecting such a general question. Call around to pharmacies or clinics near you and see if they have any advice on what other patients do in situations like these.

I know this is the last thing you want to hear but in retrospect you and your doctor should have planned ahead of time for your move to make sure this didn’t happen.

But I would just go online and randomly find phone numbers of clinics, hospitals or even private psychiatrists for advice. You may strike out and not get an answer that helps you but there just might be one person out there who can steer you in the right direction.

5 Likes

What I meant was maybe they will right you a prescription for a small amount of medication to hold you over. That is until you get to your new pdoc.

2 Likes

If I was in your situation I would go the emergency room on the day that my meds run out or the day before so that it gives you time to get it filled and tell them you have no other way to get meds. A sz who it vulnerable to a psychotic break is an emergency in my mind. Good luck.

Go to urgent care or the emergency room and ask for an emergency supply of meds. They should be able to provide you with enough to last until you see your doctor, if you bring in your prescriptions to show them what you take.

1 Like

What medication are you on? Cant you purchase it out of pocket?