I’m sorry but another Cat related question

My indoor cat is strictly going to be an indoor cat.
I don’t have other pets or animals living in our house.

Does my cat need to be placed on flea and tick medications and a heart worm preventative

I really don’t want to expose her to these harsh chemicals unnecessarily.

@ZombieMombie @ThePickinSkunk @ZmaGal
@Blossom @oolaloola

2 Likes

Yes, because your cat could accidentally get out one day. I think it’s all necessary

3 Likes

Thank you for keeping your cat inside. That’s where they belong. Too many dangerous situations outside for them.

3 Likes

Heartguard is toxic.
My last dog got sick from ingesting it.

I may use Frontline flea and tick medication though.

I don’t know, I’m still debating it

1 Like

If it’s a rescue cat from a rescue center who was around other cats, you probably want to give her flea meds for a couple months. Sometimes even if indoor a stray flea can pop up. Just get a flea comb and brush her every now and again. If you find a flea on her, give her another treatment dose. If she’s strictly indoors, and the only cat, you won’t need to worry much about other diseases.

2 Likes

So she won’t need a heart worm preventative?
@oolaloola

1 Like

My suggestion before you give her any meds, is take her to a vet. They will give her what’s needed and make suggestions. Also, Most rescue centers give her all needed meds before offering for adoption, so just check her paperwork and see what they gave her already. You don’t need to treat her for anything for the first year usually if the rescue center did all the normal prep and blood work on her.

2 Likes

Yes I called up the shelter and they gave her all the necessary preventative treatments and blood work.
She has an appointment to see the vet in about a month.
Thanks @oolaloola

2 Likes

I should have added, most shelters give a flea treatments to their cats and they are usually good for up to three months, so you shouldn’t need to give her any further treatments unless you notice fleas on her after a month or two.

2 Likes

Yes thanks @oolaloola
I forgot that the shelter had already administered flea and tick preventatives on her

2 Likes

Yes, you can def make her sick getting too many flea treatments in a short period of time. Stick to whatever schedule you got.

2 Likes

Thanks @oolaloola
If it’s not absolutely necessary then I’m going to avoid giving her these harsh chemicals.

1 Like

That’s good. But she should still get vaccinated when the time for these vaccines is up. Indoor cats sometimes get out. It happens. I’d still keep up with vet recommendations

2 Likes

Oh yes I definitely plan on regularly taking her to the vet and continue keeping her updated on her rabies and other vaccinations @ZmaGal

2 Likes

Oh good! I’m glad :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @ZmaGal 1515

2 Likes

You shouldn’t use anything on her a vet doesn’t say is ok.

Some flea and tick meds will cause a cat to have seizures or just be shaky in general. I had it happen to one of mine.

Some will also burn skin.

Ask the shelter what they used and rhen continue to use that, because they go with things that are safe. But never gove a double dose and do not give before the time from the previous dose is done.

Overdose can be fatal.

2 Likes

Yeah the shelter used an expensive flea and tick preventative call Revolution
I’m used to giving my dogs Frontline, it’s less expensive.

But I’ll ask the Vet when I take her in.

Thanks @ZombieMombie

Revolution for cats is good. I know a place to get it cheaper. I’ll pm you the link.

2 Likes

Ok great!
Thanks! @ZombieMombie

1 Like