I know you have been living for this day. I need you velociraptor

@shutterbug I was told by @Jimbob that you knew all about gut health. I’m newly allergic to milk and can no longer eat yogurt to replace bacteria and don’t think I like kombucha. I don’t think I can eat enough sauerkraut. Where else can I get live and active cultures without dairy?

2 Likes

You don’t need to eat a lot of sauerkraut. 1 tbsp a day of it should be more than plenty.

I eat more than that because the taste has grown on me and it’s guilt free other than the sodium content.

There is also miso - fermented beans and koji rice. Tasty and healthy. No dairy.

2 Likes

I love miso. I haven’t made homemade miso soup since I left Ukiah. But I have to order everything online. We actually have the fresh sauerkraut here. I’ll grab some today. I’ll get some hot dogs too. (treat)

So, did I understand that I should eat it cold?

1 Like

Yeah, heat kills the live cultures. Also make sure the “fresh” sauerkraut is unpasteurized and only has these three ingredients: cabbage, sea salt, and water. That’s it. If you look at a jar and see 15 different ingredients on the label - put it back. Honestly, it’s super easy and cheap to make your own.

2 Likes

Kimchii, unpasteurized, should do the same thing. You can ferment at home and make all sorts of things. They sell fermenting kits cheap on Amazon.

I know I’m not @shutterbug , but I’m all into this sort of thing.

5 Likes

@Leaf,

I’ve made this and just had it as my lunches.

Super good way to eat kimchi.

5 Likes

ah i love kimchi :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Thank you very much. I appreciate all the information @shutterbug @anon4362788 @Charles_Foster and hi @lekkerhondje

3 Likes

Kimchi is soooooooo good. Even better when homemade.

:blush:

1 Like

Here’s a really cheap starter kit. All you need is 4 wide mouth jars, big or small.

Fermentation Kit for Wide Mouth Jars - 4 Airlocks, 4 Stainless Steel Wide mouth Mason Jar Fermenting Lids with Silicone Rings, 4 Silicone Grommets, 4 Glass Jars https://a.co/d/24D4PYE

2 Likes

Anything fermented is good I believe…or most things atleast…even some pickles are good for this.

But mind you there’s two kinds of pickles: quick pickles (vinegar/common) and actual fermented pickles (which are good for your gut).

Maybe your local health food store has fermented pickles.

2 Likes

You can make refrigerator pickles, too. Those are closer to fermented.

2 Likes

I love the title loooool :smile:

1 Like

I need to ferment some ankles.

:blush:

1 Like

hey leafy =)
i hope you find something for your gut.

2 Likes

I use empty Classico pasta sauce jars for brewing sauerkraut:

It’s safe to use them for dry ingredients or unheated wet ingredients. You shouldn’t use them for traditional canning as that could be dangerous. Perfectly fine for how I use them and the price was right.

3 Likes

Ive only ever tried the kimchi instant noodle bowl. It was pretty spicy!

2 Likes

when i was in south korea for 3 months we ate kimchi like 3 times a day =D.
kimchi ramen is great yea… i love the nongshim kimchi ramen noodle bowls.

2 Likes

I have used them for hot water bath canning. Pressure canning, nope.

1 Like

@Leaf i am passing along a message from @Rhubot. She was recently diagnosed with something called Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. She says your symptoms sound eerily familiar and wants to know if you have heard of this or been evaluated.

1 Like