I know I will Fail?

Depends on what kind of reality you’re talking about. The physical world can be pretty absolute. But in human relations reality is relative. Two peoples realities can be completely different and who is right? Hitler thought he could rule the world through force and had the force to back him up. That was the reality of the leader of millions of people. The Allies saw reality differently. They thought that democracy was better for the world. The two realities clashed head-on.

Or take two boxers, Ali and Foreman in the “Rumble in the Jungle”. Everybody thought Foreman ( much like Liston) was invincible. No one thought Ali had a chance, not even his own trainers. But Ali out-smarted and out-boxed Foreman and won the heavyweight title. Everybody thought that the reality was that no one could beat Foreman.There are different kinds of realities.

People’s beliefs don’t change reality, they can believe what they want but it won’t make it real.

You’re not going to fail.

1 Like

What’s reality? What’s the definition and where do you think it comes from? Isn’t it what we think? If MAN defines reality. (because animals don’t) that makes it a totally human concept. And it comes from our thoughts. And since thoughts are what makes our reality than it is different for everybody. You could say that there are big realities and small realities. Thee might be a universal reality that runs everything. Like universal laws of physics. Or you could look at the realities of poverty, murder, and starvation. The context of reality is certainly fluid.

1 Like

Peoples beliefs can change reality in certain cases. That’s how slavery and apartheid ended, right?

If one has the opinion that slavery is wrong it does not change the world. Slavery does not magically disappear. You can believe Obama is a reptillian but it won’t make it real. Your ideas can motivate you to influence the world through action but those beliefs themselves don’t change anything.

Slavery ended when more and more people started believing it was wrong. When enough peoples opinions about slavery influenced leaders or when the leaders own opinions changed to say that it was wrong that’s when slavery ended in America. In certainly changed the world through a ripple effect.

Slavery ended through action.

But it started with belief. And turned into action.

I’m not sure you understand and I’m tired of explaining.

No problem. Not everybody shares my opinions on reality and not everybody shares yours.

Yeah, I probably didn’t completely understand what you were saying. But I believe what I said too.

This is how I look at reality. Say you have a backpack and 1 person sees it as yellow and 1 sees it as blue. Both are correct since each observation is only relative to how each person perceives the backpack. Now add a 3rd person to the equation who sees the backpack as also yellow. The person who perceived the backpack as blue’s observation (reality) is distorted since through collective awareness the majority sees it as yellow. Another example. Take 100 people on an island and 99 of them hear voices. Who is the one that has the distorted reality? The problem with these 2 scenarios is you never know which reality is actually true, you only know who has a different perception through collective awareness of a certain situation. This thought process depresses me however since you never quite understand what is true. Now if all 100 people heard voices or all 3 people saw the backpack as yellow you wouldn’t have a problem. The reality of each situation would be absolute. This concept in my opinion can also be used to describe a delusion or hallucination. It’s how one person sees the world even if it goes against the majority it is still that one persons reality. I hope I’m wrong about my theory but it makes logical sense to me at least. This is why I find I will fail because my mind likes to uncontrollably see the world as a simulation or a test on me that might never be graded or even a punishment. In short I can’t help but see the view as a negative against me. I’m unsure if I will fail or succeed (and by succeed I mean doing something positive in my life that is also viewed as a positive by the majority), and am terrified of the future. I’m only 20 and I’ve experienced a decent bit of negative in my life without much positive to balance it all out. No one deserves SZ and in my case no one deserves to feel so badly they do something as psychotic as I did which led to some of the worst physical pain of my life. To sum it all up being set on fire through a mental breakdown is not a fun experience and I don’t wish it on anyone. It’s how I’m going to make it right and live the rest of my life without being perceived as a dangerous leper. I’m ok with being a misfit but I’d rather not go on feeling like the abomination or pariah. Also I wish I could view life as you do @darksith…make things a whole lot easier.

2 Likes

I see what you’re saying. But some of our greatest and most successful people in history were called crazy by many people in their lifetime. You can find many examples. Many people thought that it was crazy that anyone thought that man could ever fly or land on the moon and so on. Maybe you just have to keep trying despite anything including even if your efforts seem crazy to you or other people or keep trying even if it doesn’t seem like reality.

1 Like

I understand that bit and know how history has proved many people who were considered crazy at the time were actually geniuses. But they were geniuses because they formulated original thought which for at the time was considered crazy. I don’t think nor do I know if I have the ability to formulate thought in such a way that seems crazy at the time, but is crazy because it’s original. A lot of my thought comes from examples that have already been well thought of and put them in my own words. And I’m no technical genius either. Idk I’m just gonna play this reality out I guess and see where it leads. If I end up homeless and alone in 10 years then I’ll know the truth. Thats my biggest fear however is I’m doing all this work on myself and trying to be a good person and there’s a possibility I won’t have anything. I mean it’s possible for anyone I guess, but I don’t have any family besides my 66 yr old parents, no great technical skills. Just a good taste in music and a creative view on life

1 Like

I still feel like crap listening to you because I can’t work and I have fits of random sadness from time to time. And even though I have no guidance on where to go with my life or recovery I still have support from my family. They have always wanted to see me do great things and that is a good feeling.

I could have written all that about myself.

1 Like

So if you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Then look for something that will. One little thing at a time. (I’m serious.)

And you might find that thing to look for in these:

DBT – http://behavioraltech.org/resources/whatisdbt.cfm
MBSR – Welcome to the Mindful Living Blog
ACT – ACT | Association for Contextual Behavioral Science
MBBT – An Introduction to Mind-Body Bridging & the I-System – New Harbinger Publications, Inc
10 StEP – Pair A Docks: The 10 StEPs of Emotion Processing
SEPT – Somatic experiencing - Wikipedia
SMPT – Sensorimotor psychotherapy - Wikipedia

Almost all of them are available online or in workbooks. I looked… one day at a time. And I am quite interested in life now.

“Everyone knew it was impossible. Then came along a fool who didn’t know it, and he did it”

3 Likes