I have Tardive Dyskinesia but no longer take meds. Will alcohol worsen it?

I have Tardive Dyskinesia. I’ve read multiple studies that show that alcohol consumption greatly increases the risk of developing TD while taking neuroleptics, but I’m no longer on any neuroleptic drugs. Will drinking alcohol make my TD worse even though I’m no longer on antipsychotics?

1 Like

I can’t see the alcohol making things better.
I would talk to a doctor if I were you.

5 Likes

I can’t really see it making it better either. I’d be surprised if id doesn’t make it worse. I couldn’t find a study about the effects of alcohol on patients with TD who are no longer on the meds though, so I’m curious if anyone has any info or experience about that. I currently have tried several methods of treating it such as Piracetam, Vitamin E, and BCAA’s. They offer some relief but when they wear off it goes back to how it was. Drinking alcohol is probably not a good idea regardless but I’m very bored and depressed so I want to be able to get drunk sometimes because it’s fun and I never have any fun any other time because I never do anything because I’m a paranoid schizophrenic! Luckily my parents let me live with them and I’m going to inherit some money to live off of.

2 Likes

https://ps.psychiatryonline.org/doi/pdf/10.1176/ps.48.5.634

Table 1 study 1- People with TD were more likely to have abused alcohol.

I was told that if you quit your mess it can also cause tar dive.

I have read several studies which show what you’re talking about. I’m asking about it since I’ve quit meds, will it still be likely to cause TD. Your study and the others I looked at only studied people who were still on dopamine blocking neuroleptics, which I’m no longer taking.

Why would you risk it?

And why would you take advice from strangers on the internet on such an important matter?

Don’t drink

Quitting neuroleptics too abruptly without tapering the dose slowly can cause tardive dyskinesia. Also, neuroleptic medications can mask tardive dyskinesia symptoms for years and then it becomes appearant when quitting the meds, but was actually there the whole time. Both of those situations are well documented to occur. Taking the meds for longer, and taking higher doses, increases the likelihood of developing tardive dyskinesia. All this info is from studies I read from National Center for Biotechnology Information.

I would risk it because its fun to get drunk. I’m looking for advice from strangers because I have not found a single study that gives me information on this, so I’m looking for people who may have this information. I’m not just going to start binge drinking if someone says “it’s fine” or something. I agree with your advice on not drinking, but that wasn’t really my question.

I would say it would affect it whether on an AP or not , but I suspect you are looking at an excuse to justify alcohol consumption. If you have quit meds and are into heavy alcohol consumption that’s not a recipe for good mental health.

2 Likes

Appreciate the input. I would not say I’m looking for an excuse. I would say I’m looking for evidence that it’s safe for me to drink responsibly. I already have tons of excuses to drink. But right now I’m not looking for excuses, just scientific information.

The authors report on the incidence of tardive dyskinesia (TD) in a sample of 284 psychiatric patients who chronically abused street drugs; 82.4% had received neuroleptic treatment for the length of their illness (10.5 ± 5.8 years). The incidence of TD was 15.9%. The incidence of TD was significantly higher in groups of patients in which alcohol alone (25.4%) or in combination with cannabis (26.7 %) was the drug of abuse than in those groups in which alcohol was either absent or used in combination with sedatives, opioids, or stimulants. Tardive dyskinesia was absent in patients not treated with neuroleptics and in a control group of drug abusers free of mental disorders.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/00952999009001572

I’ve seen that study. All of the participants were taking antipsychotics during the time of alcohol/drug use. This is different from me because I’m no longer on antipsychotics.

82.4% had received neuroleptic treatment for the length of their illness (10.5 ± 5.8 years).

That study doesn’t provide any relevant data.

I mean it’s almost relevant, but the question I have wasn’t addressed and there’s no way to answer my question from the data they provide. Or at least not from just the abstract. That study may have valuable data but I will have to pay to have access to the rest of the study. It might be worth a few bucks to read the rest of it.

If you are in the USA these people might be able to tell you.

1 Like

Probably, try vitamin E and manganese

1 Like

I don’t think drinking will do the effects that smoking pot does, no worries. Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions.