I got some Valtrex today

I had my first virtual doctor’s visit. The antiviral medication I am currently taking isn’t working as well as I would like for herpes. I asked for some Valtrex which is supposed to reduce the risk of spreading the virus. I’m hoping it completely clears up the sores. Has anyone tried Valtrex and did it work for you?

1 Like

Sorry to change the subject but I have hsv-1. Proud to say that it’s my only std :joy:

But never had a breakout ever. Never took a med

But I heard it can take several years

How long do you know after you contracted it till you display symptoms??

I heard 50-80% of adult population has oral herpes

Do you think naltrexone helps with breakouts or not at all. Have u heard??? I heard it does and I take that every day so hoping that my luck continues :pray: :four_leaf_clover:

Got any insights for me!?

Sorry I don’t know too much about valtrex myself.

1 Like

And how does it spread??? Cuz I don’t care to infect others.

1 Like

I mainly came down with sores after I was with a guy the winter and spring of 2021. It had to have been him because I haven’t had sex for years before him. I came down with the sores maybe in the summer of 2021. The nurse practitioner I just started seeing last December tested me for all STD’s and I just had herpes I and II.

1 Like

Oh I see @anon54988740 !!

I must’ve got it from oral sex. Giving not receiving!!! I thought it was from one girl but the std test revealed I had it from much earlier.

The doc said I probably had sores but I never have/had.

Is hsv-1 transmittable to others or just hsv-2 I don’t quite understand how it’s contagious and whatnot. Thnx.

1 Like

It spreads through contact with the sores with an infected person kissing or skin to skin contact. Antivirals reduce but not completely eliminate the risk of transmission. You can also catch it by sharing toothbrushes and such.

1 Like

Hmmm I could’ve got it any way then!!???

I also showed up for antibodies from hepatitis a but I’m pretty sure it’s from getting the vaccine.

1 Like

They are both transmittable.

1 Like

I was thinking about calling Planned Parenthood about it and see what they have to say about it. My understanding is they also help with STD’s.

1 Like

Oral sex, giving not receiving, is how I caught it. I have genial herpes hsv-2 in my mouth. Hsv-1 is the cold sores one.

1 Like

O ok so you would say I probably more likely got it from kissing??? If I’m understanding correctly.

1 Like

Hsv-1 can spread through kissing or genial to oral contact too. I have hsv-2, genital in my mouth. Cold sores hsv-1 is more common

1 Like

Thanks for all the information @anon54988740

But
Some things always will just be a mystery to me…I guess