I got banned from an LGBT FB Group

Apparently it’s ok for people to talk about dating those with anxiety.

When I said about dating people with Schizophrenia, my comment was deleted.

I posted asking what the problem with that is and they removed me from the group!

Shame as it was the most used LGBT group in my local area on FB

Just goes to show there is tolerance for some mental illness, but clearly not Schizophrenia.

They must have thought I was trolling or something, but I was just asking a genuine question to see if I got any authentic replies, but no, removed from the group…

12 Likes

That’s awful…

1 Like

I’m sorry @Joker
This is terrible

1 Like

It puzzles me that a group for LGBT people who know all too well about stigma would do such a thing

7 Likes

That’s bs.

I told my neighbor I have a psychosis Friday. We’ll see how that one works out for me.

1 Like

You obviously thought too highly of the LGBT community. Like most communities they are toxic. And what happened to you just goes to show.

1 Like

What can I do to find a community that’s not toxic?

2 Likes

Dogs, cats…

Avoid people at all cost.

I can’t have a dog as I am working during the day, and I would get a house cat, but I don’t think I could afford to have it damage my furniture and pay vet bills,

1 Like

Sadly it’s still not not totally unusual for one minority group to be dismissive/hostile to another minority group.

I had such negativity in the late 1990s and early 2000s when participating in a predominantly physically disabled newsgroup. They couldn’t ban me, but my mental illness was used as a tool to attack me with.

2 Likes

sorry to hear that happened to you @Joker
They meanies =(

It is still okay to stigmatize schizophrenics. :frowning:

It was probably a single person with no qualifications other than having created that group. Facebook groups are notorious for unfair moderating and drama.

6 Likes

You really can’t make that call as an outsider.

@Joker I don’t know who was running the FB group, but I could see them thinking it was a troll question designed to mock the anxiety question. Either way, they don’t sound sz friendly there, since they didn’t even consider the idea that some of their members might actually have sz. I’m sorry, it is so hard to find a good community. I would maybe recommend looking in autism groups instead. Autistic people are way more likely to identify as LGBT anyways, and they would be more accepting of the very unusual behaviors that come with your disorders.

4 Likes

It sounds like they might be really paranoid. Maybe apologize and reapply. They shouldn’t be discriminating against schizophrenia when they know what it’s like to be discriminated against.

1 Like

They’re not with your time at all. I say move on and find another group.

1 Like

Maybe they have a rule that you cannot physically meet up, like the rule here. Did you check on their group rules? Maybe you didn’t mean to date anyone in the group, but maybe they didn’t want to take the chance. I know Facebook doesn’t encourage online groups to meet physically unless you already know them. Maybe it had nothing to do with your illness.

1 Like
2 Likes

There will likely always be some percentage of people who are dismissive or hostile towards others who are different from themselves. Unfortunately, it is just part of the human condition.

It just seems more difficult to understand somehow if the folks being dismissive or hostile are themselves in a group that has experienced dismissiveness and hostility by others.

4 Likes

I was going to a support group for a different issue, and I was befriended by a member who happened to be a mental health counselor. When I told him I was schizophrenic, over and over, he kept saying, “What do you mean by that?”

It got a bit personal!

1 Like