Schizophrenia.com

I get angry over the ignorance of mental illness

I am friends with a couple. She is bipolar and he cannot find work. He is depressed. Their lights will be turned off tomorrow. She cannot even get out of bed from depression. Her Soninke lost his job and she is worried about her grandchild being homeless. Her husband is depressed because he can’t find work. He is embarrassed. I went to a ministry to help them, I asked to have them pay a light bill. The husband is not on disability. The minister was so stupid. He wanted her to come see him. She could not get out of bed and the man
Is suicidal. If they had cancer they would bust a gutt to help them. He’ll won’t be hot enough. I am poor but will find a way to help them. I was so angry.

1 Like

Sorry about your friends’ experience. Ministers can be some of the least helpful and understanding people there are. Hope things get better for your friends.

2 Likes

I just don’t see how you call yourself Christian and do that. I think people don’t understand mental illness. Just stand up and snap out of it. People can’t always do that. I need to be mad with ignorance not the man. I would rather deal with any other illness. Thanks for your reply.

Are there any agencies in your area that can help them? Maybe have them talk to a doctorand see if they can be put in touch with a social worker. Sometimes they have ways to offer support.

I am a social worker. I could have gotten help for any other disease.

1 Like

So sorry about your friends. I think all the bad press about welfare, and the cut backs on social services is hitting the people who really need the help. What about the Salvation Army ?

So he just wanted to meet her? He didn’t turn them down?

She can’t get out of bed. He needed to visit her. If a person with cancer was in bed he would visit. Sometimes you have to bring gods love to people when they can’t help themselves. We go to Africa but don’t help down the road. The woman has given up hope. Visit her and show gods love or get out of the pulpit,

The bible teaches on many occasions the disciples went to the helpless and helped them. Jesus went to the sick cjhilds bed when the father ask
For help. One man was brought on a stretcher to Jesus I could try that but if it was a physical disease the minister would go to her. I will help her tomorrow . Some people don’t know mental illness weakens people.

Oh no! That is terrible. That is one heck of a situation. We have a church that we go to that gives us some groceries once a week. At least that might help them with food if you could find something. Or a food bank. Sometimes you can get free counselling some places, but they would have a hard time getting there. How about online support groups like this one for them? They are going through so much. People really underestimate how much of a problem depression is. I had a battle with it for awhile and I could not do anything. Everything was so hard. I am just on the tail end of coming out of it now. Maybe there would be some jobs at a temp agency until he can find something permanent?

I have sympathy for your friends however I can understand a ministry not wanting to hand out money to someone unseen. That money could be going to anyone for anything.

Perhaps the husband, since he is able to be up looking for work, could contact the ministry himself to get their bill paid.

You can see it if you call them or visit them my father was a minister and he visited the sick did not have to chase h down whe a social worker visited him he visited the person yes he should get off his but and meet him if they had cancer he’d be there. My father councils ministers

Agreed.
I do hope & pray things get better. I have been in similar situations, and such financial difficulties and no one helping contributed to catastrophe over a year ago…

Having been in numerous churches, I noted that many ministers are like this…or they will say they will pray for you but not lift a finger to help…Some will help but they are few… I have met 3 helpful ones out of at least 25 different churches i’ve been involved with !

Those ministers really need to read James 2 ! In fact I remember one time a homeless guy was asking for a dollar and my own pastor turned him away and told me not to give him any money too! I went outside and called the poor dude over and gave him $2…

James 2…

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

In the past, when I was at my worst, Catholic Charities helped me a lot. They have programs for the low and no income in almost every major city.

Getting help was as simple as making a phone call and having a social worker visit me. Maybe check them out.

I do hope you can find some help for them. It must be terribly frustrating and saddening to watch this happen to them.

Sending prayers,

Anthony

Today I paid their light bill and I am broke I have faith god will be with me. I have needed mercey before also what upset me was seeing them suffer from depression and unable to help thselves. God will be with me. People don’t understand depression and bipolar. I pray they become educated. I don’t hate the minister I just feel he has a lot to learn.