I feel like I seriously messed up

I had been on haldol 3 months injection form. Instead of lowering my dose, in an attempt to get off meds of course. I had it in my head to switch to abilify. I mean I don’t hate abilify and i’m not having problems like I have seen others here have but. My doc wanted me on a lower dose and I had to refuse cause I just switched and couldn’t do it.

Anyways got the usual thoughts in my head now.

•Should have never been on meds
•They are killing me, the root of all my problems and i’m just dependant
•Gotta wait 3 months just to lower my dose in an attempt to taper off
•Feels like another race against time to get off then asap

Ugh. It’s just so hard to believe I have sz though i’m fully aware of the dangers of going off either way now at least.

Anyways hope you guys have a good day :slight_smile: thanks for reading if you did

5 Likes

I take 300mg haldol shot and two other APs.
It’s a good classic med

:open_mouth: dang that’s a lot of meds. I was on 50mg shot monthly

It’s tough. Meds make my mind dark and I don’t like it one bit, at least zyprexa does. Seroquel is better, but I have to be patient before I can attempt another switch. Just got to hang in there.

I was on oral haldol and had to get off it, as it catastrophically increased my depression.

1 Like

That happened to me, too.

1 Like

Take your meds because they are safe my mother has been in treatment for 30 years and is still going strong. She is now 77 yeard of age.
And I have been in treatment with the older gen. antipsychotics for 26 years and have no TD yet.
Drugs ain’t shorten your life and they are safe. If you want to live a long life then always take your antipsychotics. Don’t smoke-drink alcohol- do drugs and eat healthy. Eat veggies-fresh fruits- fiber like oats and ray. Dont drink sodas Don’t est more than one plate of foods 3 times a day.

3 Likes

Maybe the abilify just isnt working as well as the haldol. U were on a low a haldol dose at 50mg a month and the haldol injection slowly leaves the system making weaning not all that necessary with it. How long has it been since ur haldol shot?

@irrelevant last haldol shot that I didnt get was due feb 2nd I believe?

Yeah no I don’t regret going off mannnn I had no joy in literally anything on it.

Some thoughts

• Everyone who has been diagnosed with schizophrenia is going to need to take meds at some point and it is rare if at all to come off them. More likely that you should be on them and need to continue to take them.

• Antipsychotic medication are dopamine blockers. They don’t make you feel great and they have a lot of nasty side effects. That doesn’t mean that they are the root of all your problems. Correlation does not mean causation

• A full taper off medication can be recommended to take up to 2 years, be patience in the grand scheme of things it probably hasn’t set you back that much. Also no point worrying/stressing out about things in the past

• Recovery is a journey not a race. Give yourself space and time

2 Likes

Thanks Iris

dont worry tell your doc
he know your person with scz
and he will respect you that you told him
you have incredible illness and wild symptoms
he will not do anything bad to you
i m sure just tell
i did that before and told my doc he didnt do anything bad to me

1 Like