I don't understand the negativity towards meds

My aunt will take any med given to her but anything to do with mental illness she will refuse. She wants to fight it on her own. Which I fail to understand why. If she took the Meds most likely she’d be able to work and not spend so much time feeling anxious and scared.

2 Likes

For most people it is hard to accept to have a mental illness because of the irrational stigma attached to it.

There is a real diivide: A lot of well-meanig friends with lots of education, intelligence, and success advised me to not take the psych meds.

Jayster

1 Like

But had they scientific education specifically on the action and effects of these meds?

The wrong med’s make some people feel really bad. Maybe you could tell her that there is a variety of medications for mental illness, and if one is hard for her to take she can try another one. There is a certain amount of trial and error in this.

2 Likes

She accepts she has anxiety. She used to take Prozac but side effects meant she quit taking them and decided against mental health Meds. All Meds have side effects though. She won’t quit those.

Yes it makes no sense, it is like to say that I will not drink anything because when I drank milk I had stomach ache.

1 Like