I cut seroquel

I have stopped taking seroquel for over 2 weeks now my highest dose was 1200 on January and now it’s only invega 6mg. Is that considered progress? I haven’t had many withdrawal symptoms since. Although a little nervous about moving to a new country and a new life soon and mixed thoughts are present. This is the lowest I have been on meds since diagnosis. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Is your psychiatrist stepping you down or are you doing this on your own?

As instructed by my psychiatrist

2 Likes

Reply to you …

I guess so, but try not to see the amount of your meds as a measure of your progress. Because no matter how little medication you take, it doesn’t mean anything if you are not feeling ok. So please do not hesitate to increase your meds whenever you feel it’s appropriate.

3 Likes

Good! I am glad you are making progress and good luck on your journey.

1 Like

I was first put on prolixen (first generation drug) in 1981 when I was 20… I was in the hospital at the time, at the start of an 8 month stay.They put me on a 130 mg of prolixen a day. People tell me that’s impossible and that the maximum dose for that drug is 60 mg, for anybody. But in1984 my psychiatrist showed me my medical records. charts and I saw it in black & white: 130 mg. My psychiatrist who of course had been through AT LEAST 8 years of school and had been in practice for 8 years told me that’s the third highest dose he had ever HEARD someone was on. He emphasized “Heard” . He didn’t say “Anyone he’s seen”. He specifically said, “HEARD”, which included medical school, talking to other psychiatrists and being in practice. Anyway, after I got out of the hospital my dose was halved to 60 mg. I became fairly stable and my doc tapered me off. But anyway my point I want to make is that through the years my dose fluctuated. At one point I was on the lowest dose which is .5 mg. But I was on 5 mg for awhile, 10, 15, 20mgs. Having schizophrenia is a roller coaster. Symptoms come and go. They don’t stay the same for most people. They ebb and flow like the tide. Also After I got out of the hospital I figured after one year I would never go back. Unfortunately I relapsed in 1988 and had several hospitalizations. I’m not trying to scare you, I’m just showing that schizophrenia isn’t always predictable. Enjoy your low dose and be self-aware to nip a relapse in the bud. You don’t have to live in constant fear of a relapse or be on guard every minute of the day, just be aware and have people who know you be aware of-any changes that spells a relapse. Good luck.

3 Likes

That is great. You will know if you feel better, some meds are easier to come off of for an individual. Take care of you!

1 Like

Something for me to remember as I am lowering my dose as well - thanks for this

1 Like

I take Seroquel, and I can’t really tell I am taking it. Geodon and Seroquel have kept me stable for a pretty good while. The doctor might not be stepping you down by putting you on Invega. She might be stepping you up.

The most important thing is how well you cope, not how low your dosage is.
If you focus on lowering your dosage even while you are feeling unwell, it doesn’t mean you are coping well.
But if you decide to increase your meds because you are aware of your feeling unwell, that means you are coping well. Increasing meds is one way of coping.
And if you can cope well with your illness, I think you can say that your condition is well enough because that’s what preventing a relapse is all about.

3 Likes

Pure wisdom - Thank you @bananatto for making me see the bigger picture

@Qutaiba I’m glad you have your doc helping you navigate this change. As long as you feel like the ground is solid under your feet and you feel like you can handle what comes your way… I think your doing great.

@bananatto - Thank you for that too… there are times I get caught up in the numbers and loose sight of the fact that I’m working a better job, I’m in school, I’m taking care of myself better… the number on the label doesn’t mean a thing as long as the over all picture is improving.

2 Likes

My old pdoc tried to take me off of Seroquel. When we got to a certain point I was having a very hard time. I was having mood swings, lack of motivation, and panic attacks. It was horrible. I guess I’ve been on it so many years my body couldn’t cope without it. My new pdoc has it at 400mg. That along with the Geodon is keeping me stable. Good luck with your new med regimen. :sunny:

I have been on invega 9 and seroquel 600 since March now invega 6 alone. He is stepping me down

I heard there were many withdrawal symptoms after seroquel but fortunatley I only had insomnia for a couple of days nothing else my mood is stable and motivation lacking should disappear as I start working. But now it ecist and has been the way since I was diagnosed.

I think that’s right. You have put it in the right way. I hope I will be cooping well. Thank you.

I would be very careful with this - times of change (like moving countries) are typically the most stressful life experiences that people can have - and its well known that stress is a big contributor to schizophrenia relapse and symptoms.

I hope you have contingency plans for if your symptoms start to return quickly as the stress starts to build as you get closer to your move date. Things you might do include having an advanced directive in case you don’t realize you need help any longer. This would give your family members or friends the ability to get you into treatment if you need it and don’t recognize it.

1 Like

Very good point. Ultimately the only measure of progress is if you are enjoying some important aspects of your life and you’re moving in the direction you want to with your life.

Thank you, I will keep that in mind.
I hope I wont have to endure any more psychosis anymore, I am adhering with the medication and i always confront myself with any thoughts i have, I will watch over myself carefully, I will live with my brother and my sister is also living in this new country.
I will get busy with work and will work on my stress however possible.

Thanks again for your valuable input.