I can't tolerate the Risperdal Consta injections anymore

After 9 years of being on Risperdal Consta 37.5 mg injections every two weeks, I can’t take it anymore. I’ve decided the shots hurt too darn much. The last injection I received really, really hurt and I don’t think I can tolerate even one more shot. Not even in the rear end, where it doesn’t hurt as much, supposedly. The arm or the leg is completely out of the question. Those areas would be way off the charts in terms of pain. Risperdal works really well for me and I hate to go off the shots because the shots work so well but, I don’t know what else to do. I don’t tolerate the pill form of Risperdal. The oral form makes me way too constipated. I mean totally blocked constipated. I have to take Turbocharge laxatives all the time when I’m on oral Risperdal and I don’t want to do this. It’s not healthy for me.
I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to try Clozaril at all. And I don’t want to go on Olanzapine because of the weight gain possibilities. And Abilify doesn’t work on me. The old neuroleptics don’t do a thing for me. Invega did not work on my son, so, I doubt it would work on me.
Does anyone have any ideas? I’m going to contact my pdoc on Monday.

@Anonaccount You can ask your pdoc about going on the liquid form of Risperidone.
It’s worth a shot.

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s an idea.

1 Like

Hi @Anonaccount

Can you take tylenol on the next day of the injection. I got mine 3 days ago on my left arm and yes it hurts but =(

There are some more meds that your doc could recommend Have you tried Geodon ?

I did not know there are liquid forms ?!

I’m already on Geodon and Seroquel.

also on injections at the same time?

No oral forms of Geodon and Seroquel.

1 Like

@Anonaccount You also might want to try the orally disintegrating version of Risperidone.
They are called M tabs.

2 Likes

Thank you. Do you know, yourself, if these forms are less constipating?

Not sure but it’s worth a try.
Maybe your psychiatrist would know.
You have options.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

1 Like

Yeah sure anytime @Anonaccount.
I know that Risperidone has been a miracle drug for me.
It’s the only drug that keeps me out of the Hospital.

1 Like

Could a topical lidocaine spray or ointment before the injection help? Never tried it myself (for shots) but I used it once before laser hair removal, and it helped. That sh*t’s pretty painful.

1 Like

That’s interesting. I’ll suggest it to my nurse. Thank you very much.

1 Like

You can get it over the counter too, I think. Prescription may be stronger.

1 Like

Thank you for this.