I can’t sleep on risperidone. What do I do?

I’ve been having the hardest time sleeping on risperidone & I wake up all throughout the night & really early in the morning. I’m a sleeper, I love to take naps & I have always enjoyed my sleep. Since being on risperidone I have tried seroquel & Trazodone for sleep & neither work. I suspect the risperidone is to blame for that. Nothing sedating works. Melatonin? Forget about it. Has anyone else had issues sleeping from a medication? What do I do. Nothing is helping

4 Likes

How long have you been on risperidone?

1 Like

5 months. It finally started working 2 months ago when the voices went away. However this sleep issue I’m having makes me want to not be on medication at all

1 Like

I’ve become a really light sleeper on Abilify

I used to get about 4 to 5 hours of sleep on it but now it’s gotten a bit better

2 Likes

Get a watch that records how much you actually sleep. It may turn out you are getting enough through out the day all in all. That is the important thing.

Getting used to a new sleep pattern or how you sleep may have to be realised.

As long as you get around 8 hours a day, I shouldn’t worry.

1 Like

Risperidone has insomnia as potential sideffect.

2 Likes

I had almost 9 years with relentless insomnia. I tried figuring it out, but it wasn’t until this year I switched from generic to original zyprexa I have gotten better sleep.

I used to put away like 18 beers each week because my life was a nightmare with the lack of sleep. Now I have been sober for many months, no problem.

1 Like

Hmmm. I am on the max sz dose of Risperidone, 16 mg. It makes my heart race if i take it all at once so take half at 6 am and half at 1 pm.

Maybe i should take it closer together. I also have insomnia.

All i can do is take Benadryl but it only knocks me out for 2-3 hours. Hydroxyzine worked too well and i couldnt stay awake on it. Doxepin didn’t work out either.

I hope you can figure something out. Maybe try taking it first thing in the morning. I am gonna start moving my doses closer together and see if that helps.

Keep us posted.

2 Likes

Are you getting enough exercise? It helps with sleeping.

4 Likes

Have you tried a benzo? I don’t reccomend taking them daily but once or twice a week to help you sleep could be something to help you.

2 Likes

I’m on 3mg and asleep an hour after I take it. Are you on a high dose?

1 Like

I have tried benzos they don’t work :frowning:

3 Likes

I have tried exercising. Still hardly sleeping

2 Likes

I’m on 4mg’s. Didn’t have sleeping problems until I got put on 4mg

1 Like

I was on paliperidone and the insomnia started after 6 years

1 Like

On rexulti i sleep full night then a few more hours after taking pill

1 Like

There are a few supplements worth trying. Like P5P(a form of vitamin B6) and magnesium. Preferably magnesium glycinate or threonate since they have best potential to work for sleep.

2 Likes

I had to come off Risperdal after a few months, partly because of sleep.
I am taking small Haldol and 100 Seroquel for sleep.

1 Like

I sleep 9h a day on 6mg risperidone

2 Likes

I take imovane or other name /brand zoplicone for insomnia.

It doesn’t always work but most of the time it helps me.

1 Like