I am thinking of admitting myself into the hospital

I’ve had my 4 week injection of Abilify 400mg. I take a 50mg pill of Seroquel for sleep. There are no positive or negative symptoms of schizophrenia. I just want to admit myself into the psychiatric ward in the city hospital because I want to get away or not attend a stressful event. Am I allowed to do this? I do have a medical history of schizophrenia. If I admit myself to the hospital, this will be the 3rd time in less than 20 years I will be at the psychiatric ward.

I’m not sure what to do.

1 Like

I don’t think it is a good idea to check into a hospital, just to avoid life. Better to simply not attend the event. Not sure if you can do that though

1 Like

@anon35453467, The E.R. pdoc’s won’t admit you to the hospital unless you are a danger to yourself or to others or if you are having especially bad positive symptoms of sz/sza.

2 Likes

I kind of obligated myself to attend this event. I don’t want to go and it’s going to be stressful for me.

1 Like

Then don’t go. You don’t need an excuse. You have a right to say whether you want to go or not.

1 Like

Well, it’s a wedding that I have to attend to. If I were in the psychiatric ward of the hospital it would be a reasonable excuse for me not to go. Most of my family members know I am schizophrenic.

Tell them you are sick or something. Tell them you have come down with a bad case of dizziness all of a sudden and you can’t get out of bed.

1 Like

I don’t think they will buy that reason; however being in a psychiatric ward… Everyone will buy that reason.

1 Like

If they ask what caused the dizziness, just tell them later on that you hadn’t been drinking enough water.

1 Like

Go to hospital man … its a safest thing u can do…!!!

Get well soon…!!!

2 Likes

@anon35453467 it’s really not fair to take a hospital space away from someone else who really needs it just because you don’t want to attend a wedding. Also, it’s a waste of money to be in a hospital when it’s not medically necessary.

7 Likes

Going to the hospital has to be timed at the right date. I don’t know if I am going to do it or not.

2 Likes

True… but it’s freaking stressful for me…

They are going to have to buy that reason. It’s a valid reason. People get sick all the time. It’s a valid excuse.

1 Like

Maybe you’re building it way up in your head and maybe you are making yourself believe it is going to be a lot more stressful than it really is. I can’t count how many events, parties, appointments, work meetings, trips etc. I just did not want to attend at all but once I went I was really happy I went.

Maybe just force yourself to go but have some kind of escape plan in place. to leave if it really starts to get bad.

1 Like

There are extended family members I haven’t seen for a long time and some of them I’d like to see and some I don’t. This is a big, BIG EVENT which rarely brings a family like mine together.

I don’t think I’ll have an escape route once I commit to going. I don’t really know how this event will turn out.

My situation is similar to Prince William & Prince Harry where the older brother is supposed to get married first. However, my situation is reversed where Prince Harry gets married before Prince William.

If you’re so stressed out about the wedding that you’d rather go to the hospital, I think you should just decline the wedding invitation. If anyone asks why, just say it’s for personal medical reasons.

3 Likes

I understand what you’ve told me and the seriousness.
But I just have to say this (and I hope you don’t live in the Southern United States).

Quote from the comedian Jeff Foxworthy: “You know you’re a redneck if you go to family reunions just to find a date for Saturday night.”

2 Likes

If you don’t go, they will still get married. People would still laugh, drink, and have a good time if you don’t go.
Maybe an option would be to call the either the groom or bride or the family member who is organizing it or whoever ahead of time and give them good wishes but regretfully say you can’t make it. I even think in this situation a lie would be appropriate to get out of it. If you absolutely can’t get out of it, sit in the back inconspicuously sipping a coke and smile at everybody politely but just physically put yourself away from the crowd so everybody gets the idea you don’t want to talk.

2 Likes