I am a carer and want to exchange information

I have over 20 years experience as a full time carer and have been an advocate. What seemed reasonable at the beginning is nothing like today. Careless diagnosis can lead to the wrong treatment that can cause harm. You should ask a lot of questions and know the process of diagnosis before you accept it. First there should be a 'differential diagnosis. The psychiatrists should share with you 'what they are thinking before the diagnosis. They should select the most likely diagnosis and carefully eliminate all the possibilities. Say PTSD most of the symptoms of schizophrenia but the treatment is different. If you are …forced to accept treatment… usually injections at a public hospital under a Community Treating Order, and it is the wrong treatment you will not be listened to. This happened to the person I take care of. A lot of harm was done and there is almost no accountability in the mental health system. I believe uit is better to have no diagnosis rather than the wrong diagnosis.

@Frances1 I’d like to direct you over to our Family forum, found at:

While this forum is for people with schizophrenia and other closely related psychotic disorders, the Family forum is specifically for people like yourself, who have a loved one they are concerned about.

Best of luck.