Human case study: bone marrow stem cell transplant and a 60 point PANSS reduction

Hey @GentleSoul so this isn’t universal donors, but these researchers are apparently looking into how to make the rights cells from bone marrow.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5440110/

1 Like

Before i read the linked ncbi article i have a question. Is it stem cells from bone marrow? I thought stem cells from sz patients were faulty (at least from skin cells).

Also i am sure cell therapy has the potential to cure more than 1 out of 11 patient. If sz is due to pruning (C4) then replacing those cells is the cure.

I didn’t read the entire article but skimmed it. Yes, it is from bone marrow. I don’t know, but it seems likely that it would need to be from a healthy person, or else whatever defects would have to be corrected. I’m not sure we can say it’s a single cell type that’s necessary. Perhaps one of the benefits of bone marrow is its broad nature. But it shows that multiple scientists and research groups are looking into this line of research.

In the case of the person with the 8 year remission, he did get graft vs host disease after his transplantation, which can be very serious, but he recovered.

Also skimming other articles, it seems some think that maybe one of the reasons clozapine works is its actions on bone marrow.

1 Like

I dono how theoretically correct this is going to sound but “flooding” the brain with undifferentiated/pluripotent stem cells which will find their way to high stress/high inflammation/pathological areas makes sense. This is why i am thinking about intrathecal universal donor stem cell therapy.

Practically this would be quite easily feasible.

My only question is, is undifferentiated stem cells going to work or do stem cells need ro be primed somehow to find their way to problen areas? Priming would normally happen in the bone marrow?

Happy cake day!! Happy new year, @twinklestars!!

1 Like

Thanks! Happy New Year.

I don’t know the answer to your question. I’ve read that there are deficits with GABA-ergic neurons, I’ve also read that there’s problems with glial cells.

Bone marrow transplants also apparently can cause remission in autoimmune disorders (and people are taking strong anti rejection medicine) so it’s also possible, as a previous poster said, that this is a factor. I wouldn’t say it would rule it out in non-immune related cases though, since the mouse and rat studies use a variety of models.

I guess at least we can say they’re looking at it. Hopefully going forward when a person with sz has a bone marrow transplant due to cancer, they will allow their case to be examined for science.

1 Like

Wow, @GentleSoul you seem to have it all figured out!

1 Like

Snark?! Happy new year, Gorrister!!

2 Likes