How was schizophrenia created?

How did random gene mutations created sz?
Didn’t Darwin say only good genes survive according to Darwinism? Is he wrong? Why did sz genes survive?

Darwinism is a theory of biological evolution developed by the English naturalist Charles Darwin (1809–1882) and others, stating that all species of organisms arise and develop through the natural selection of small, inherited variations that increase the individual’s ability to compete, survive, and reproduce.

1 Like

Sz definively does the opposite :confused:

It is thought the genes responsible for cystic fibrosis can actually afford a selective advantage in heterozygous individuals. Maybe, because sz is polygenic, some of these genes in isolation can be beneficial.

Maybe the odd 1% of folk are unlucky enough to inherit just enough bad genes but overall the population is stronger having these genes in circulation

3 Likes

Yea that makes sense.

I guess us schizoprenics have bad luck.

1 Like

For sure buddy. For sure

2 Likes

Schizophrenia was created by an evil scientist in an evil laboratory in an evil city

6 Likes

And God said, “Let there be misery.”

8 Likes

There is this concept called maladaptation. All organisms display maladaptive traits. Humans are just one of them.

But here is this fact: humans cannot evolve without maladaptations. For example, it is hard for organisms to breathe both in air and in water. Organisms either breathe in water or in air. Not both.

So in conclusion, maladaptations must exist for humans to continue evolving.

There is a theory that autistic traits were selected to have hightened senses. Who knows if sz will turn into an adaptive trait a century later?

6 Likes

Our ancestors had better support groups and villages of only 100 or so people most of the time.
In the modern world we are disconnected, alone, expected to fend for ourselves, and it’s always a crapshot when it comes to making friends.
Schizophrenics weren’t schizophrenic, they were shamans, vision seers, fortune tellers, or just eccentric individuals who learned to love with what they had.
Our ancestors managed this Illness somehow and so can we. The fight never stops against sz but we can pull through damn it

3 Likes

Hahaha. So true.

And God said, “Let there be misery.”

1 Like

Las Vegas definitely. Lol

2 Likes

Variety is the spice of life. Mutations and change increase the survivablity of the species and as pointed out previously- The outcomes may not be as orgininally developed. As sz is most likely different genes getting hit by an evironmental trigger.

It’s complicated and it’s true for a whole range of human diseases and disorders not just sz.

2 Likes

That is exactly why some psychiatrists like Peter Breggins say schizophrenia is more environmental than genetic, because schizophrenics have a low reproduction rate, so the genes would have died out years ago.

5 Likes

Also, look up evolutionary pressure. Rapidly changing genes can lead to a variety of problems, and humans have evolved very rapidly in our recent evolutionary history.

See this for instance. Or Google it yourself. Evolutionary pressure | Psychology Wiki | Fandom (wikia.org)

1 Like

The flying spaghetti monster lost a noodle

3 Likes

Maybe some smart and cruel person thought the disease up and it proliferated a long, long time ago. That wouldn’t explain the biological side though, but it’s still possible. Schism means split, so we are divided in some way or another. I have a major division with my ideal self and me. My imagination has been more of a drawback than a help in my life. I think schizophrenia has a lot to do with these things.

1 Like

And God said, “Let there be dark.”

1 Like

by sinusitis , ya

One other reason that a lot of people aren’t mentioning is compassion. We aren’t wild animals. When someone has a genetic mutation crop up, we try to take care of them and help them. Therefore, they don’t die. They survive to pass on their genes. I mean, look at how many folks here have biological children.

3 Likes