How to manage money better?

My first step is buying nicotine patches as the budget cigarettes here are like $16 a pack. But what would you recommend for learning to better manage money? Stuff personally tried and tested.

Thanks!

1 Like

Buy from supermarkets instead of small grocery shops, as the latter tend to be more expensive.

Buy large coffee and sugar packs or boxes instead of sachets.

Buy one 5-litre water bottle instead of ten 0.5 l bottles.

Buy ebooks instead of paperbacks/hardcover.

Downgrade your cable/internet/phone plan to the minimum acceptable level.

If you are a sex addict and go to brothels often, look for other sex addicts in your area and have sex for free.

That’s it! That’s all I could think of :angel:

2 Likes

Increase your chances of an STD or becoming HIV+. Not a good idea.

2 Likes

Excuse me what? Oh God I’m laughing. Did you say they can all have sex together for free lol STDs hiv um,no thanks.

2 Likes

Yes I agree promiscuity is dangerous. Always practice safe sex. But if someone goes to the brothel often they are already exposing themselves to infections so might as well look for a cheaper alternative.

Im a big spender. I forced myself to only spend a daily amout each day. I calculated my income and bills. Whatever was left i devided for each day of the month. And i left a sum for emergency spending. This money i.dont spend.

So now if i go to the store i only have certain sum for the day…i dont get a snack if that amount is spent already. And if i rwally need that snack i have the other card for that. The emergency card.

1 Like

I used to save all my receipts for each month… At the end of each month I would sit down with a piece of paper and write down all my expenses in a column.
Rent $750
Gas for car $100
Food $300
Internet $60…
and so on…

Then I would write down my income
SSDI about $800
Job about $900
Monthly gift from parents $100

I had all my receipts in a basket and I would take them out and go through them one by one and write the name of the place I spent money and how much I spent there and what I spent it on.
It would look something like this:

Mcdonald’s $4.50-food
Walgreen’s 17.50-miscellaneous
Safeway $160.00-groceries
McDonald’s $8.00-food
Vet $300-cat
Petco $23.00-cat food
and so on…

So I had all my incoming money and all my outgoing money. I could see where I spent money and where I spent it. The trick was to plan for the following month and not spend more money than I had coming in. But I could see where I was wasting money and improve for the upcoming month. It really didn’t take that long to do it but I don’t do it anymore though I want to.

1 Like

I found this crude and offensive.

I find I have a lot more $$ now that I don’t waste it on beer.

Come on Nick you are usually so easygoing. What could possibly be offensive about my suggestion?

I have a hunch you’re just jerking my chain :grin:

1 Like

OK, I’ll explain my roundabout sense of humor that goes on in my mind. It was a joke. You had people getting on your case for the brothel remark. So instead of picking on the obvious offense (which wasn’t that offensive) I connected the two and I joked about something as innocuous as water. In my mind, the joke makes perfect sense. So yes, I’m jerking your chain. I think you got it :smile:

1 Like

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/tips-for-everyday-living/money-and-mental-health/#.W0dJfcInbIU

https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/ (UK- There are probably similar USA sites)

It requires discipline.

Before my illness I was just spending money without any care and always struggling. Once I got diagnosed with the illness it made me grow up and examine my life especially my financial situation and I vowed to never go broke again so I started to discipline myself and control my spending. I started small but I built up a $1000 in savings and then gradually progressed from there.

I quit buying energy drinks everyday even though I drink them once in a while and cut out all extraneous spending because I realized that even small things add up over time. I started to calculate everything in terms of yearly spending and realized that I need to be more conscious of my spending because everything costs money.

Since my illness I’ve limited my spending to paying my car-insurance, gas, and helping my parents with bills which includes groceries and the electricity bill and buying clothes here and there. Once I got enough in savings I started to read about investing my money and stocks. I read as much as I could and eventually took the plunge which has paid off so far.

So it can be done again it takes discipline. I know I’m not living on my own so the expenses are not that much but it’s still something for me to be responsible for. Just thought I’d share my experience.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.