How to keep a job with my illness?!

I have 2 job interviews and I don’t want to go because every time I go out in public people are talking about me because I think they watch me on camera on their phones. I also believe they are watching me on tv. I am starting to believe it’s just a delusion, but how do you work if you think people are talking about you? And you can even hear them talking it seems so real. Has anyone had any experience with working with delusions?

1 Like

Maybe it would be a good idea to try an vocational rehabilitation type of program.
They can coach you on the interview before hand and then will further help you when you get hired. Like if you have trouble with the job you can talk to them and try to work out a solution.

3 Likes

Thats a good idea, but how do I go about getting into the program?

1 Like

In my area I use access vr. It is best to just do an online search for local agencies that do vocational rehabilitation. You have to of course meet certain standards. You have to have the right type of disability to get help. I am just trying to get help through them now. I had to sit down and have a meeting with them, then had to sign all the medical info releases. Then they told me to mail them a copy of my disability letter. I am now waiting to see if they will help me.

1 Like

I also believe there is a ticket to work program out there offered by the government. I don’t really know anything about this though.

1 Like

I had to work while going through what you describe, I work for myself so I got through it and one customer told me I had to get help or I could not come back. Long story short, I ended up in hospital for a week and on meds.

I think its best to get this sorted out before you work, but not sure of your financial situation? I would think it is not going to go well.

3 Likes

I do not get disability benefits, do I still qualify?

I think cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) helps with getting past the fear of facing the delusions. I haven’t used it myself, but I’ve heard of people having success with it, like goldenrex and MrSquirrel.

I might try it if my treatment regimen doesn’t shut off my thought broadcasting fully.

1 Like

You would have to find one that is local to you and see if you qualify. I know being on disability just makes it easier to get accepted I guess(so I have heard.) They do look into your medical records and see what you have problems with.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve worked with similar delusions for a matter of weeks, but people could tell something was wrong, and my manager had a meeting with me about me not doing my job as well as I normally did.

There are good reasons why schizophrenia is considered one of the most disabling conditions. MountainMan may be right. You may be better off trying to get rid of the delusions mostly first, before working. If I had delusions that bad at the moment, I think I would be applying for disability soon.

1 Like

I am applying for disability now because I don’t see how I can work in this condition

1 Like

First of all, Vocational Rehabilitation services won’t get you a job

all they do is polish up a resume and throw you back out into the world.

and second, I’d say most employers today ask if you have disability

it’s right on the application, so I wouldn’t deny it if I were you.

1 Like

Get a job monitoring the security cameras in public stores.

This way you’ll understand just how mind-numbingly boring it is to watch people for a few minutes- let along all day and night long like you believe you are.

2 Likes

Yes I have. I do not engage with anyone at work unless they come up to me. If you can listen to music I have noise cancelling headphones that drown out a lot of the sound from the room.

1 Like

I also wouldn’t tell them until you prove yourself at the job. I had to say something when I was off for a month and they asked for a doctors note

1 Like

I worry about the same kind of stuff that you do. However, since going on the Clozaril, i’ve noticed that my delusional thinking has reduced a lot. I work fulltime and i find it a good distraction, but i think that it would only work provided that i was on medication. I don’t think i could work fulltime if i wasn’t medication. Maybe you need to have another look at your medicines before starting to look for work. You don’t want to get a job and then not be able to work it. Would probably dash your self confidence.

1 Like

Where I am from, the access vr people hand you over to other agencies who will help you find a job.
They will give you coaching before your interview if you need it. And once you are hired, they can help you with problems you may have on the job. They flat out told me it’s not a one meeting and done type of program. They give you as little help or as much help as needed(within the job limits.)
Daze, are you from the us?? I am sure different organizations run things differently in some areas.

1 Like

@anon21836947…you seriously need to get on the right med combo…youre not well…I had similar delusions in the past…I just neded to find the rifhgt med

1 Like

This delusion seem so real. I almost want to ask you am I on camera and being talked about on tv?

1 Like

Here’s what keeps me working:

1. Take meds as directed.
  2. Open and honest communication with doctors.
  3. Build a personal support network and use it when needed.
  4. Therapy whenever possible and the same with CBT.
  5. I do at least one therapy workbook a month, sometimes two.
  6. Keep a positive, recovery oriented attitude.
  7. Keep myself busy outside of work, challenge myself, try to keep brain active.
  8. Force myself to socialize regularly to fight my tendance to close-in and become a hermit.
  9. Keep a recovery journal and share it with my doctor as needed.

Hope this helps.

:blush:

2 Likes