How to help people in psychosis

1 Like

It takes a certain temperament to be able to do that. Some people aren’t suited for it.

Tell them it is real. It will pass sometimes hopefully sooner rather than later… i wish this had been said to me supportively and I could trust them more.

2 Likes

I can see the points on some of that article, but it becomes more complicated when you are trying to do this in a group setting and people may be feeding off others delusions.

It IS extremely difficult to talk someone in the midst of psychosis out of their delusions though, and just reassuring them may indeed be a first step to gaining their trust.

It’s something to think about.

But I think this is more of an article for a one on one strategy.

1 Like

when I was delusional nobody could change my mind about what I believed…I saw little “movies” or visions as I call them that would tell me what to believe…no, just a trip to a mental ward and meds is the only thing you should try to get a delusional person to do.

1 Like

Sorry. Thanks for saying that.

1 Like

Sorry to hear you went through that if it was severely horrifying like mine were too. I got taken inside a police cage though. Peed myself and thought i was bejng raped also aside other traumas. Screamed for many many miles long in the cage. So I have trust issues. Not speaking of the other things.

Im 35 now… hopefully things will get better for me. And others too. If they have similar experiences. To me.

sorry you suffered like that in the cage…how awful…I was 35 when I fell ill to sz. now I am 60. took me quite a while to find the right med for me. now I’m happy but early on I had a lot of deep trouble with sz. @Nimbus

1 Like

Thanks so much for your supportive message. I appreciate it very much as I two months ago had a relapse and I’m still recovering. I appreciate this forum and each member so much. No doubt.

1 Like

oh you’re welcome…I hope you overcome what is bothering you…it’s rough.

1 Like

I don’t understand your meaning asin, bothering me? Ive tried to be supportive of others here. And honest about my views. Im not arrogant. Im not advising im just giving ideas that helped me. Might not be right for anyone else a given. Were all so uniquely varied in our psychosis etc experiences. Individuals combination of diagnoses. If youre making a joke at me i cant mind read. Im autistic. I have in the past done alot of self therapy as well as seen multiple psychiatrists and psychologists and Drs etc.

oh @Nimbus I am so sorry…I didn’t mean anything…I meant with symptoms or depression you might have with the illness…nothing deragatory. I apologize for not being more clear.

1 Like

First thing you can do. Is tell them to take ownership of it, whilst recognising they are suffering. Tell them they are not a victim - and the power is in their hands to have the balls to confront it.

Empower them. And tell them they got the strength. Positive Affirmations, without being condescending. And tell them they are Loved.

1 Like

I’m surviving merely. Compared to what I lost. Id never say I am a victim but scarred indefinately. A close relative insulted me personally saying I wasn’t a victim. Like I haven’t suffered his abuse of me. Weird that.

1 Like

I truly love you. I love your comments and attitude. Just sorry dont mean to insult you by not liking your comment with a red heart. :purple_heart:

1 Like

Yeah, i hear you. I’m harsh i know, but as soon as you go into that “victim mentality” you’re setting yourself up for a fall. You will Goto bed and feel sorry for yourself for days.

Trust me I’ve had various abuse for years lol. There’s a fine line between self-care and wallowing in your own self-pity.

1 Like

Haha. Bless you. Cheers lol.

Trust me, im a flaming nightmare in real life :stuck_out_tongue: x

1 Like

Sorry. I was generalising. Not you personally,

1 Like

Personally I have beef with the whole don’t contradict delusions. I believe if you still have some grip on reality then it will work. It depends how deep into psychosis you are. If I had the right person who I trusted who knew how to talk me through it then I know it would have made a difference.

In psychedelic therapy they have a doctor sit with you for the entire trip. If you have the time and patience to sit with someone for a multiday psychotic trip I’m sure there would be plenty of opportunities to talk people down from their delusions. Really the key isn’t that you can’t talk people down from it. It is that a psychologist or psychatrist sitting in a room with someone for an hour can only make so much of an impact. That is where this dogma originates from. Ultimately what it comes down to is trust, to abandon your own beliefs and believe what someone else is saying. People can be made to believe all kind of rubbish. The fact that cults exist just goes to show. If you’re questioning your own reality you’re probably also in a highly suggestable state. At that point some decent guidance would help.

It’s not that you can’t talk people down from delusions. It is just that you need to be very skilled, you need to pick your moments and there needs to be a high degree of interpersonal trust.

The problem with repeating the verbatim don’t contravene people’s delusions is that no ever ends up telling that what you’re believing is all junk. How are you ever supposed to know otherwise. The culture around this need to discuss having a staging process as part of the descalation of beliefs. CBT is literally oppositional in this exact way and has been proven to work. They’re just needs to be a framework for it. People just never invest the time in others when they are experiencing psychosis. In a traditional society this would be completely different