How to find housing as sz

For those of you who are on disability, how did you find housing? I’ve been trying to apply for 811 housing for half a year now and haven’t gotten a single hit.

3 Likes

I got lucky… I was able to move in with my fiance…

2 Likes

Wish I could get housing. very long waiting list and I can’t go on the list till I stop working, which means would be homeless for a long time before housing came up

2 Likes

Well in my case I was homeless and living in transitional housing. My case manager with my psychiatric care provider found me a place to live.

2 Likes

Where I live there is a 13 year waiting list for low income housing. Got turned down for mental health housing five years ago. I’m still at home with my parents.

2 Likes

I live in California in a decent area and I pay $580 a month for a two bedroom apartment. It also has a washer and dryer for the tenants to share.

The apartment is owned by a mental health agency and they rent it out to us. We’re on our own but a counselor checks on us every three weeks.

3 Likes

You could try renting a room somewhere? When I was back in Idaho I paid $400 a month for a room and private bathroom per month. It was a good deal. Now I’m in Arizona and the prices are higher and I pay $700 for the same thing

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a good idea. I’ve rented rooms too. If you don’t like living alone but you value your privacy then renting a room is a good option. I usually found that renting a room in someone’s house is like having built in friends. I was very friendly with a lot of the people I lived with. And they liked socializing with me as much as I liked socializing with them. Prices are different around the U.S. but last time I looked the average rent of a nice room in my area of California was about $900-$1000 a month. It’s hard to find good deals anymore.

2 Likes

in an idea world maybe it would be less - where I live it runs no less than 1,100 in rent alone and I make half that

3 Likes

In Sweden I was homeless a while but lived at a rehabilitation home and later at my boyfriends place.

I lived in a car for three weeks once.

I currently rent a apartment from family to a affordable price.

Best home I ever had was with my x in sa.
It was perfect and perfect company and partner and it’s only place that felt home truly .

In Sweden I rented of the government second hand then first hand contract.

I would be incredibly poor if I didn’t get help.

I don’t want to rent a room and hear others have sex or get annoyed with me etc

There are homes for disabled people where you get your own apartment but you have staff 24/7 in a neighboring building.
My friend lives in one and staff knock on his door every night to give him medication.

2 Likes

I don’t know how different it is between america and sweden, but 811 would be similar to the nursing home

1 Like

Disability pays 1325$ max where I live

it pays around 550 where I live

1 Like

how have I gone this whole time without realizing I wrote found and not find

I live with my dad. It’s hard to find housing when you’re on disability.

1 Like

I fixed it for you, no worries.

Do you have a caseworker? Sometimes they can help with housing.

This is the problem I have. Im 30 and dont get on with my Dad at all. Would like to live alone but its not affordable without working full time which isnt realistic. So Im stuck.

Im not elligible for supported housing apparently. And council houses are in super high demand.

I was told by a support worker Id be best off moving up north and try and find somewhere cheap than pay through the nose where I currently live. Even a single room in a flat is unaffordable where I am.

1 Like

sort of, really in name only. it’s been since semptember since I submitted a request

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.