How to fight negative symptoms?

Avolition, anhedonia, apathy, etc? I force myself to do something easy like playing video games or doing 5 min on my bike, but when I succeed to start I get avolition and anhedonia causing me stress and loss of interest in the activity then I give up fast and escape the activity.

With video games I can only play a bit with online friends as they motivate me a bit but I can’t play alone. Exercising with someone doesn’t motivate me at all sadly as video games are easier for me.

On Abilify I was able to exercise at the gym for 2h almost daily sometimes with friends sometimes alone. Alone I did less like 1h. I was also able to play up to 5h of video games alone continuously.

Pretend you aren’t unmotivated and just keep doing it for each time you try to

2 Likes

The treatment is ads or stimulants. Try effexor, modafinil,…

1 Like

Its exrremely hard, the more I fail and retry the worse the result.

1 Like

I tried Wellbutrin it didn’t work. Maybe I need a very strong stimulant? Don’t stimulants work by increasing dopamine? Can’t I just take L-Dopa supplement?

I don’t have a psychiatrist now, I need to ask my family Dr about stimulants.

2 Likes

yea stimulants increase dopamine… i was on ritalin for a while but it made things worse so they had to get me off the ritalin in the psych ward.

2 Likes

You should check with your doctor. But my pdoc suggested a stimulant or an ad for negative symptoms. I take Wellbutrin and it helps. Lucky me.

1 Like

Yea increasing dopamine increases psychosis. Did Ritalin make you psychotic? What was bad about it?

it was good for a while but slowly i slipped into psychosis again and then suddenly i was full on psychotic and i didn’t notice it myself but my pdoc called the psych ward and a few days later i was committed…

1 Like

How much are you taking? 150mg for a month didn’t work for me, I was still in bed most of the time. Maybe I have treatment resistant negative symptoms?

1 Like

Stimulants or uppers will land you in the psych ward.
Bad idea.

3 Likes

Wow so Ritalin made you psychotic eventhough you were on antipsychotics?

1 Like

yea it did… it’s nuts that i didn’t even notice it but i’ll never go on ritalin again though… maybe you could try low dose but i would be careful with it…

1 Like

I take 150 mg Wellbutrin.

1 Like

What antidepressant are you on? Was it prescribed for depression or for sz negative symptoms?

1 Like

i’m on 50mg sertraline daily. to be honest i’m not sure why they prescribed it… i think to try to help with the negatives, that’s also why they prescribed the ritalin. The ADs help some but not completely so maybe i had some depression too. But to me it feels like it helps… not completely but every little bit is better than nothing huh

1 Like

they prescribed the ritalin to have more motivation to do stuff… and it did help for a while but then i got psychotic again so meh =/

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

you are welcome @Aziz =)
I hope you do find a solution… but i wouldn’t go the route of the stimulants… maybe wellbutrin but you already tried that

1 Like