How to feel happinesss?

Persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia) - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

This? Just randomly guessing. A former friend had it. He was a kind and interesting person, but always felt a low grade sadness and lack of motivation/positive feelings.

Sorry you are dealing with this. Wishing you strength to cope with it.

1 Like

I have thought about it but I don’t have ptsd symptoms like flashbacks to a traumatic event or avoidance of a traumatic event triggers. I made another thread and childhood sz matches all my symptoms and explains everything.

2 Likes

I asked my Dr if I am depressed and he said no its sz negative symptoms so he never prescribed me serotonin ADs but I tried 5htp which increases serotonin and it made me manic.

1 Like

Your emotions may be blunted from meds or the disease. Or you could be so miserable from your situation that happiness is simply out of reach. I’m sorry @Aziz happiness and joy are the things that we all strive for. Never having any makes a person want to give up. I went without for so long and I thought I would never have it. Now I feel content very often and have moments of happiness and even joy sometimes. I do feel sad that it’s not like other people, but for me it’s something.

3 Likes

I am trying to stop asking for happiness for a while. It’s not happening. Facing the fact.

I had a near Meltdown that progressed through two days, dealing with too much social pressures, relationship pressures, self pressures of progress for myself. Got through it.

I am just gonna focus on staying functional - reduce stress, pressure, try to be okay with myself.

1 Like

@Aziz, I used to be the saddest, most miserable person on earth. And yes I was suicidal. Constantly. Because I had no one who cared.

Then, I made the conscious decision that I would not need people. Not a lover, not family, not friends. I was going to create a life that I would thoroughly enjoy without them.

So, I rededicated my life to reading, yoga, piano and meditation. And I enthusiastically picked up Spanish study, massage reception, Netflix, YouTube premium, and a new 2 bed, 2 bath apartment with balcony, fitness room and pool.

Now, I am very happy. I think I could probably be just as happy in a studio or one bed, one bath without pool or fitness room really.

5 Likes

For me happiness comes with small things. Simple fleeting pleasures. Reading a good book. Watching a good movie, coffee with hubby, walking on the beach or in a park, watching the birds fly, talking to my budgie, eating a big bowl of pasta…

Start small. I hope you will find happiness because you deserve it. You’ve been thru a lot with your sz

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.