How to deal with the shame

When I’m around people who might be described as well-adjusted and neurotypical, I often feel damaged, which fills me with such a sense of shame that it can be paralyzing.

It’s not just the psychotic break but also my autism and history of trauma. I feel ashamed and less than because of it.

How do you cope with the shame?

It’s such a damaging emotion.

1 Like

I don’t feel any shame. But my meltdown happened in a different country so I feel I’ve left it all behind me.

If you’re feeling shame around well adjusted people maybe it’s their fault?

1 Like

What helps me is knowing that healthy people also have problems, they just keep them under their hat.

1 Like

forget about them
if you have independant mind no one can make you feel so without your permission
becoz we live in mess mess mind
i suggest practise positive thinking and all mind tricks you can find by researching
you can shift attention and go forward

2 Likes

Maybe read the book “Breaking Free of the Shame Trap” by Christine Evans. I haven’t read it but I know the author and she’s brilliant.

1 Like

My therapist often reminds me not to compare my insides to other people’s outsides.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll look it up.

1 Like

There’s nothing to be ashamed about…you got sick…it’s not your fault…if it paralyzes you…try to just make conversation and fight it I guess…sounds a bit like panic…that’s how I beat it…fight it.

1 Like

My therapist told me everyone has some degree of mental illness. She said that comparing what we see with our own lives Is futile because we can’t see inside their heads. We don’t know other’s struggles.

Especially people on forums and social media. People always put on a good face

Here is the most real bunch of people I’ve seen. I haven’t seen anyone really try to pretend to be something they are not.

1 Like

I am not ashamed of the illness but ashamed of its consequences like staying in bed all day everyday. I feel physically disabled. Maybe I won’t be ashamed if Vraylar comes out and improves me like Abilify but without addiction and hypersexuality issues.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.