How to be less food insecure?

Sorry if I’ve done this already, I can’t recall.

I am very food insecure. I feel extremely anxious if we are low on food things, especially bread or other “no effort, instantly edible” foods.

I restrict my food intake to make sure we don’t run out.
I hate going hungry, and can get agitated if there’s too much uncertainty about when my next meal will be.

When I do eat, I chow down at the speed of light, like I’m 5 seconds away from having someone take it from me, and I don’t stop until I’m so full my heart starts racing.

How do I get a better relationship with food?

2 Likes

Well I’m food insecure because I don’t have money to buy groceries with. The secretary of my church brought me a bag of groceries from the food pantry because I can’t go out because I have Covid.

2 Likes

I think that’s what caused my insecurity as well.
I have a lot of siblings so I’ve always had to compete for food.
I’ve also never had much money, so I’ve had to restrict my intake and sometimes go without completely.

1 Like

Thanks @Pikasaur. I can sympathize with you on that one.

Thank you.
And I hope your situation improves. Being stressed about food is not optimal for recovery.

1 Like

can you get help from a local charity?
there are many food banks in my area / country

I’m not quite there yet.
My main problem right now is how insecure I get when I don’t know when dinner’s gonna be, how I get stressed just from not having bread (even if we have other things), and how I wolf down my food like someone’s gonna take it

1 Like

I relate to this
I have abundant food but I still get very worried about getting hungry!!

I have a panic when I’m hungry and wolf food down also
I haven’t met anyone else quite so panicky
and also it’s not like I have to wait till 9pm to eat so I end up eating early like 12 and 4
don’t really get very hungry evenings

2 Likes

Eating slow digestible foods help… like oats, which digest very slowly and give a fullness. Oats are cheap and can be made tasty as well.

1 Like

I would just seek help. Also measure food like its a fuel and not a treat learning about nutrition. Shop cheap. Forrage for vegetables and go fishing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.