How screwed are you if a disaster knocks out the pharmacy?

One of my fears is that a big earthquake will hit and cut off power, water, and trap all traffic so the pharmacies can’t function. In that situation I’ll be forced to come out of my “fortress” and face the mobs. By “mobs” I just mean unpleasant, regular people who can’t wait to come mess with and humiliate me. I would have to abide this while suffering a withdrawal symptom that’s been called brain shivers, your brain feels like a flickering light bulb that’s not getting enough power. And, of course, someone from my past will recognize me and come to ask how I’m doing ( so they can report back to everyone else I used to be close to ). And it would happen on Christmas eve, of course. Bah, scumbug!

How screwed would you be if a disaster knocked out the pharmacy?

1 Like

I think about that, too. But mine is part of a chain, so I live close to several. It’s not a biggie. Sometimes you have irrational feelings. As long as you realize it will not be true, you can think about something else.

2 Likes

Im actually fine off medication for the most part. The withdrawal phase would be killer though, risperidone withdrawal is probably the hardest withdrawal ive ever experienced.

Other then that, i could live with the minor voices that would show up and the constant music.

1 Like

Antipsychotic I would probably be fine in the short term. Anti depressant I’d be struggling after the next morning. Effexor withdrawal really does suck and it’s something I wouldn’t like to face.

2 Likes

Wow, you guessed correctly that I take Risperidone, but it’s the effexor withdrawal that’s more severe to me. I know this all may or may not happen, it’s just that I have to live with a brain that makes up all these what-ifs based on fear. The pharmacies might have supplies in case of emergency for all I know.

So you KNOW that feeling of brain cutting out. I wouldn’t be able to function in that condition. One time I was in withdrawal and trying to buy something at Rite-Aid and I was struggling to put a card in the card reader.

1 Like

Yeah it’s brutal. I take 300 mgs. I’m going to see about trying to titrate down a bit. I’d be happy if I could take 150. Worth a shot as I’ve been stable for so bloody long but it’s a risk. My depression really does suck and effexor is the only thing that works well.

1 Like

My mood became moderately better when my doctor increased Risperidone from 3 to 4MG. I didn’t expect it to but I’m less sad and sad less often. Probably wouldn’t go back to 3.

1 Like

It would be the biggest disaster ever because I wouldn’t be able to ogle the cute Asian pharmacist for a few weeks.

3 Likes

My pharmacy also has a few cute workers. I hardly look at them because I might inadvertently look too much and weird them out. Best to keep the customer relationship easy and keep me from embarrassment.

Not much as the medicine dosent work for me

1 Like

If it seemed like a temporary issue, I would struggle a lot but try to survive. If it were long term, I would probably kill myself and send my family off to safety without me because without meds I’m I can’t really do much. I can’t even walk and often have trouble even sitting up. So traveling to any location would be impossible.

1 Like

I think about this a lot. I don’t know how I would survive. I imagine I’d go into a permanent state of psychosis and I don’t know how I would cope with that.

1 Like

Completely ■■■■■■ !
You’d be so dystonic you’d be slurring your words and stuck in a position
Yikes haha
We would have to turn to the shamans again and learn to master our clairvoyance and visions aka gifts .

1 Like

I’ve got just over a six month supply of meds now for heart, four for head meds. After that, party like it’s the end times.

3 Likes

I’d go to another pharmacy.

1 Like

I don’t know what it would be like without meds. I think at first I would have difficulty sleeping because my Saphris puts me to sleep at night so I don’t know if I would have a hard time falling asleep without it. And right now I seem to be in a high mood so I probably would not sleep much. But without my antidepressant I would probably soon fall to a low mood and be sleeping all the time. Then the pendulum would start swinging and I would go back and forth being very unstable and somewhere in there eventually end up psychotic again. But who knows, maybe I would be just fine, you never know. Hopefully the pharmacies stay open.

1 Like

In an apocalyptic-type world, I’d be in trouble because of my blood clotting disorder. I need that warfarin! If a blood clot didn’t kill, my next concern would be my Lamotrigine. I’m a hot mess without it. Then, finally, the APs. I’m also at a chain, though, so if something happened to one pharmacy, I’d just go to another. There are three within ten minutes of my home, and more in the area.

1 Like

It is not the pharmacy closing that I am worried about. It is the pdoc. My doctor took away my zyprexa a year ago and I went into a downward spiral and spent about six weeks in mental hospitals. I tried to warn her it was a bad idea, but she said I had no choice in the matter. Luckily, she just retired, and maybe my next doctor will be a normal person.

1 Like

This is my nightmare. I can’t cope without APs and antidepressants.

I’d relapse hard and fast. It would honestly be so so terrifying.

1 Like