How often do you go to your GP or family Dr?

I go several times a year sometimes every 2 months. I used to hate going to the Dr and to never go or do blood tests. Now I do blood tests every 6 months. If I didnt go they wouldnt have found my high cholesterol, high blood pressure, low testosterone and high prolactin or other problems I had.

5 Likes

I go every 3 months to get screened for problems and check in and get labs ordered.

3 Likes

I go to my Gp every 2 or 3 months or so. I go to my pdoc every 3 months.

3 Likes

I dont have a pdoc since Jan 7 this year so my family Dr has been managing my psych meds this year. Though he referred me to a new pdoc bcz he refused prescribing me stimulants, he said I might end up in mental hospital.

2 Likes

Only once a year if that. No real reason to. Pdoc is every two months atm.

2 Likes

What do you think about stimulants? Did you try any? Ritalin, Adderall?

1 Like

Stimulants for negative symptoms

1 Like

No, I have not tried any stimulants for negative symptoms. I keep waiting for someone else to find the magic pill, so I can try it. So far no one has.

I also would be worried about positive symptoms creeping up.

If you have any success with them though, please let us know. I might be willing to try something if you have success with it.

1 Like

I haven’t “seen” my doctors in almost 2 years because of the pandemic, but I have spoken on the phone with them 3 or 4 times in the last few months about my brutal insomnia.

I normally go for blood tests every 3 months but my results have been so good the last number of times that my GP changed it to every 6 months. My doctor emails me the blood test requisition form that I take to the lab so i don’t need to see him about that either.

I don’t really need to talk to my doctors, I’m not one to discuss my problems or thoughts or anything like that with them, not that I really have any problems, just my personality but I prefer to think though my problems myself, never had a therapist and don’t want one.

Even for refills both my pdoc and GP have the same policy of just getting me to call the pharmacy and have them fax the prescription request for the refill, the docs sign it and fax it back. Actually I don’t know if it is fax anymore, it may all be through the computer, but in any event I rarely talk to my doctors.

2 Likes

I go once a month for my abilify, and once a year for a full check up

1 Like

Up until covid i was seeing nurse practitioner every month for my injection and check up now for the last 6 months my sister has been giving me the shot and i talk to nurse practitioner on the phone

1 Like

My Drs used to send my new prescriptions to my pharmacy without me seeing them but that was during lockdown and my clinic wanted to do it this way but since a few months they told me to come in person. For refills I never had to see the Dr, my pharmacy just fax or email my Drs but they cant request a different prescription with different doses etc

I see my family doctor about once every 4 months. I have an appointment with him this upcoming Monday. I need him to sign my disability papers.

1 Like

I actually did exactly that. When I first started having really bad insomnia I was desperate. An appointment with my pdoc usually takes two weeks to get and I couldn’t wait that long. I called my pharmacy and asked them to fax a request for 7.5mg of zopiclone to my pdoc. Then after I did that, I called my pdocs office and left a message on his office answering machine that that is what I wanted to try for sleep and I had gone ahead and had the pharmacy make the request before talking to him. He signed it and I got my meds. No problems.

1 Like

For me they refused upping my Risperdal. They told me I have to talk to my Dr.

I’ve made several requests over the years. My pharmacy will fax my doctor anything I request, but if my doctor doesn’t sign off on it they won’t dispense it.

1 Like

I go to a clinic. Sometimes I see my GP usually it’s someone else. Counting blood tests and dental visits and getting my monthly shot I average about 3 doctors visits a month. It’s always something. If a serious problem comes up then it goes up to 4 or even 5 visits in one month. If I look at past months on my calendar I can just see a ton of doctors visits during the year.

1 Like

Once a year at least to my GP for my annual. And more often if I have any physical symptoms.

Although I don’t have a pdoc right now, I’m seeing a psychopharmacologist every three months as a substitute.

1 Like

I haven’t been to a GP in over 2 years. It’s probably about time for me to go

2 Likes

I go probably every 3 months on average. Have to get regular scripts…do yearly bloodwork and get skin cancer checks. I see my shrink more often once every 6 weeks or so.

1 Like