How many words?

How many words are there in all languages? I know in English are about one million words

1 Like

Wow that is a staggering good question. It actually might be impossible to answer depending on what you mean. There are millions of words that were lost to time. And I can’t find how many modern words exist.

1 Like

There are about 12,000 known characters in Chinese. Recognizing 4,000 of them for an educated person or to read a Chinese newspaper. Recognizing 2,000 for basic knowledge. Though knowing roughly 3,000 characters doesn’t take into account the combination of single character, double character or triple character words that are used.

1 Like

I dont know @anon51414962…??? There are many…!!

Chinese has more word than any other language…

Chinese wins…!!!

2 Likes

Lol I wanted to count all the words in this world haha :smile:

2 Likes

How many word have romanian language…!!!

1 Like

I’ve watched a link in Romanian and it said over 62.000 words :slight_smile: How about your country? How many @far_cry0 ?

1 Like

May be 55000…!!! Its not so big.

@anon51414962 how many language are spoken in romania.

We have over 111 language spooken in nepal… because we have different ethenticity in nepal…

Nepali is our national language…!!!

1 Like

Well, we also have minority languages but only a few :slight_smile: IDK to be honest. 10 language I think but mainly Romanian

1 Like

Oh okay thats good…!!!

1 Like

There’s a difference between character and words. Usually it words that out number characters. For example 26 characters/letters in the alphabet where one word could contain 1 to an infinite amount of characters/letters

2 Likes

I believe the answer is around 20 million. If you’re looking for unique words more like 15 million.

1 Like

This was an estimate based on the top 100 languages because I believe there are over 7000 languages. But it’s an ever growing number and also so many words are derived from other words or shared meaning. It’s impossible to know but I had fun reading about it and researching all the possibilities. Thank you for the question!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.